Writing the dvr and using on another computer

Help
PCF
2012-04-01
2013-05-21
  • PCF

PCF - 2012-04-01

I want to download and copy DBAN on a newer computer , but use it to erase my older computer so I can give it away. Is this ok?

• Scott

Scott - 2012-04-01

Of course.  Many people do this.  Download and copy DBAN onto a CD.  Use the newly created bootable CD in any computer that you want to wipe.  It's a good practice to do this before giving your computer away.  If you do not reinstall an operating system onto the computer, be sure to tape a note on the computer that the hard drive has been wiped and there is no operating system.  Otherwise, someone may think that the computer is broke and trash it or sell it as parts/nonworking.

• Scott

Scott - 2012-04-01

My suggestion on placing a note on a wiped computer is when you are donating it to a place such as good will or salvation army or some other thrift store, etc.  If you are are giving it to a person, then you can simply explain.

• PCF

PCF - 2012-04-02

Thanks, I'm a novice at this. When you say operating system, do you mean the Windows software?

• Scott

Scott - 2012-04-02

Yes, that is what I mean.  Put a note on the computer saying "Hard drive has been wiped.  Microsoft Windows Operating System has been deleted.  The computer and hard drive works."

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks