UnsupportedClassVersionError

Help
Marcel
2009-05-22
2013-06-03
  • Marcel

Marcel - 2009-05-22

After starting datavision the next error appears:

Exeption in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: jimm/datavision/DataVision (Unsupported majr.minor version 48.0).

What goes wrong ?

• Jim Menard

Jim Menard - 2009-05-22

As I mentioned in our private email exchange, "UnsupportedClassVersionError" means that the pre-compiled version of DataVision won't work with the version of Java that you have.

I *think* that DataVision is pre-compiled to run with Java 1.5, not 1.4. (I'm not certain because I have stepped down from the project and no longer support it directly.)

You can try upgrading to Java 1.5 (also called Java 5) or above. I think that will do the trick.

• Frank W. Zammetti

I'm assuming you're trying to run the latest version (1.2.0)...

Using the excellent DJ Java Decompiler (http://members.fortunecity.com/neshkov/dj.html) I can see that the major/minor version of DataVision.class in that distribution is 48.0, which corresponds to Java 1.4 (http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0544.html).  So, it *seems* like things should be working.

I didn't to this particular build, but it doesn't seem like anything is wrong with it to me... although I thought we made the decision to compile with 1.5 myself, the build script might not have been properly updated.

In any case, Jim is 100% right, that exception indicates a version mismatch, that much is obvious.  Building DV yourself is definitely one option... grabbing a previous version is another.  But, I would check once more to ensure that the version of Java you think is trying to execute DV in fact is.  More times than not, it isn't.  I also wonder if there's some switch you have to throw on newer JVMs to handle older versions?  I'm not sure... but if everything said so far is correct then it seems like that might be a possibility.

• Marcel

Marcel - 2009-05-22

- Uninstalled: DataVision
      - Downloaded & installed: jdk-1_5_0_19-windows-i586-p.exe
      - Installed: DataVision

Still the same problem :(

Im a Java-newbie ;)
      Do I install the right stuff ??

• Jim Menard

Jim Menard - 2009-05-22

Yes, you did. Did you uninstall the previous version? That one might still be getting in the way.

• Marcel

Marcel - 2009-05-22

yes I did.

Version according to the "Java control panel" =

Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_19-b02)
      Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.

• Jim Menard

Jim Menard - 2009-05-22

Just because 1.5 is installed doesn't mean that 1.4 was removed or that your classpath doesn't still point to it.

Next steps would include mucking with your classpath or recompiling DataVision itself, I am not able to help you with this (mostly because I don't use Windows), but if you join the mailing list and ask there you might get somebody who can make better suggestions or walk you through those steps.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks