Join on DB2

audias
2003-07-08
2013-06-03
  • audias

audias - 2003-07-08

I work with DV 7.0.9 on DB2 database (mainframe V7). I have no problem to connect to database and create a simple report on one table but i can't define a join on two tables : java process are waiting without any message and i must cancel java windows to stop the process. Anyone have a idea ? Thanks

• Jim Menard

Jim Menard - 2003-07-08

Is it hanging before displaying the join dialog? That's because the join dialog has to retrieve the list of all database tables and columns. If you have a large database, this can take a long, long time.

DataVision was changed to avoid having to ask for all tables and columns except in a few places. That's one of the places.

I hope to be able to redesign DataVision to avoid this (for example, only ask for table names first then only get column names one table at a time).

• Jim Menard

Jim Menard - 2003-07-08

One more comment: if a large database schema is the problem, perhaps you can set up a second schema and make public in that second schema only the tables from the first schema that you need for your report.

• audias

audias - 2003-07-10

Thank for your response. It was the problem.
      i  found a solution with parameter of DB2/CAE to restrict access at only view number of database and a restrict on system tables.

In a new release of DV, i think it will be interesting to have the possibility to define all join for a database (or schema) in a special file. It's a work very complex for an "end user". Or other possibility it's to restrict table and colonn in join dialog at the tables selected in the report ?

Thank for all.

• Jim Menard

Jim Menard - 2003-07-10

You can define joins yourself outside of DataVision by editing the report XML manually.

I've added your suggestion about restricting the join tables to the To Do list.

• JEP

JEP - 2005-01-10

Hi! i'm trying to connect to db2 installed in my server running linux suse standard server 8 from my desktop running linix suse 9 profesional. i'm trying to do this with datadirect jdbc drivers v3.1

which drivers are you using and how you connect to db2?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks