I entered my collection of classical CDs in Data Crow.
I wonder about the use of musical genres.
Here examples of genre I use: "Early Music", "Symphony", "Opera", "Piano", "Violin", "Cello", "String (trio, quartet …)", "Orchestra", "Organ "…
First, it seems to me that the problem comes from a semantics mixture:
* "Early Music", "Symphony", "Opera" are musical genres.
* "Piano", "Violin", "Cello", "String (trio, quartet …)", "Orchestra", "Organ "on the other hand are instruments used.
* For a concerto for piano and orchestra, I associate "Piano" and "Orchestra".
* For music for solo piano, I associate "Piano"
* For the symphony "the 5th of Mahler," I associate "Symphony"
For the Mahler 8th Symphony do I link "Symphony", "Organ," "Violin"?
That seems odd though.
In addition, I struggle to find the music for solo piano. Under the genre "Piano", there are mix of musics for solo piano and piano and orchestra.
Do you have any ideas for me?
I would created a separate module called 'instruments' and link this to the Audio CD module. I know this will mean you will have to manually update and maintain this information but to me this would the preferred way.
Alternatively you could of course just live with having the genres field and populate it with the mixture of information you described.
It depends on how much effort you can put into it.
Anyone else any suggestions?
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.