Multiple Book Categories

2011-05-06
2013-04-30
  • MercuryCrest

MercuryCrest - 2011-05-06

I eagerly upgraded the moment that the new version was out.  I used the backup & restore utility to save a copy.  I installed the new version after uninstalling the old.

Lo and behold, ALL of my books have no categories.  Even in the backup.  As well, I thought you could have multiple categories for books and it will only allow me to put a book in a single category.  Did I miss something?  My movies and programs all have multiple categories (genres) and these transferred just fine.  Apparently only my "Books" were affected.

I don't mind having to re-sort all of my book entries again, but I would like to know what happened to the original categories they were in and why I can no longer put them in multiple categories.

I should note that the actual category names (most of which I created) were still in the system, so I can just re-apply them.

Let me know if you need any more information.

• Robert Jan van der Waals

As you were able to enter multiple categories for books you have modified your modules in the past. On restoring you backup you therefore need to restore the modules as well. The option is listed on the backup and restore screen.

Cheers,
    Robert

• Richard Trumbore

I would like to have multiple categories for my books.  What modifications do I need to make on the Book module?

Hi,

You need to go into the "Modules > Alter Module Wizard". Navigate to the fields step (step 3 of 3) and alter the "Category" field to be a to a "Reference Field; Multi Select".

Cheers,
    Robert

• MercuryCrest

MercuryCrest - 2011-07-01

I appreciate the reply, unfortunately, restoring the modules didn't seem to work.  I honestly don't remember modifying the module in the first place, but I may have.  I'll just resort everything.  I do wish I knew what happened, though.

• MercuryCrest

MercuryCrest - 2011-07-01

Okay, it was my fault.  The information was there, but I needed to do exactly what you suggested to rtrumbore.  Once I changed the field back to "Reference Field; Multi Select" everything sorted itself out.  Thank you kindly for all the help.

• djaida

djaida - 2013-04-24

I need some help with this too:

I would like to add a field "Subject headings" to my Books module, and make it searchable, however, I don't know what to choose - Reference field, Dropdown or Reference field, Multi-select? Also, what field should I reference in the Referenced Module dropdown? Should I create another module containing subject headings, and will I need to populate it with all subject headings I can think of or can I add them later as needed? Or do I simply need to create is as text, single line and make it searchable? [It's probably best to just go ahead and do it, but it helps me think if I put forth a question like this. :) ]

I already use the Category field for Universal Decimal Classification numbers and definitions, that's how I organize our books and shelve them. But I'd like to make the web server available to students who could search it by subject heading and would not need to know the UDC number.

Below is an example of what I'm after when it comes to the fields visible in the Quick view settings:

Author Eliade, Mircea
    Title Myth and Reality / Mircea Eliade ; translated from the French by Willard R. Trask
    Type / content Book
    Language English
    Year 1968
    Publisher and Production New York : Harper and Row, 1968
    Physical description 212 p. ; 20 cm
    Notes Translation from the French: Aspects du mythe
    ISBN NA
    Subject headings (uncontrolled) myth / cosmology / archetypes
    UDC number 2-264:113/119

Here, 2-264 is the UDC number for "Myths and legends", and 113/119 "Cosmology. Philosophy of nature."

Also, I believe I will have to add a field for place and time of publication in addition to publisher, because if I enter the publisher data as shown above (New York : Harper and Row, 1968), I end up with a publisher called 1968 New York : Harper and Row. I'd like it to stay as entered.

In any case, I should just go ahead and do it; I made a backup so even if it turns out wrong I can go back. :deep breath:

Hi, how did t work out for you?

Cheers, Robert

• djaida

djaida - 2013-04-30

Hi, in the end, I went with multiline text, because there are sometimes many subject heading for a book and I didn't want to limit my self to just 255 characters. I mostly use http://copac.ac.uk, supplemented with a local database when the book I need to add is not cataloged at COPAC.

The field appeared in the quick search filter, and I am indeed able to search DataCrow by subject headings. I might be good if I could make it clickable and have all the books with that subject heading appear under it the way they do now with category, but this seems fine as well. (Although if you could let me know how to do this, I might try it some time in the future.) Thanks!

If you want to set it up so that you can reuse subject headings you could make use of multi reference fields:
    - Create a new property module (you do not need to any additonal fields, but you can if you want to)
    - Modify the book module and add a new multi reference field, referencing the module you created in the previous step

Good to hear though that it worked out for yoU!
    Cheers, Robert

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks