Data Crow 3.7 has been released!

2009-11-07
2013-01-20
  • Robert Jan van der Waals

I hope you will all enjoy the much better performing version of Data Crow.

Cheers,
    Robert Jan

• Kalle Werner

Kalle Werner - 2009-11-08

Thanks a lot! The added instant-view was something I was hoping for a longer time ago (reminder: get to know the feature-request). Especially when in the process of adding and changing lots of entries, dealing with a medium to large database has now become so much more enjoyable on a low-end machine. I am not sure about the memory usage, but it sure "feels" a lot smoother and appears more enduring when it comes to handling around 800 entries on an athlon 1.4GHz with just 512MB Ram. The Ram still seems to be an issue after some time I suppose.

One thing I noticed though is a disappearing picture after changing an entry (not an entries picture), kind of like a buffer getting updated but not read again. I have to restart DC to see the picture again.

This is a version I will surely enjoy! :)

• Robert Jan van der Waals

Hi Kallener,

The 3.8 version should have fixed most of the issues.

The memory usage of Data Crow is better then before but I agree that it remains a point of attention. Note that you can set the maximum of memory to be used with the -Xmx parameter (java -Xmx256m for example). However once set, Java will quickly consume the whole memory space before spending time actually releasing resources more actively.

Most of the memory is consumed by the images. The reporting process remains the biggest consumer of the resources and that's unfortunately something I cannot fix right now. So large reports will be off limits for users with a low end machine.

Robert Jan