mass book update V2.

2008-04-12
2013-01-20
  • parent manuel

parent manuel - 2008-04-12

Hello Jan.
    First, it's a superb software here you have done.
    But... in the same area as "ztwinsen " but, a bit different, I've a problem.

I've a library of books (around 3k books) who are referenced by title and author.
    I've imported those books from a .csv file (and during the importation all accentued character are became small square) and when I want to make the mass update book, with alapage (french), it only said in the event log "the synchronisation has completed! :s
    nothing is done !

I've the latest win version.

sic....

could you explain me what I have to do ? the F1 help is not very prolixe for this part.

Thanks.

P.S. (any links with Johannes Diderik ?)

• Robert Jan van der Waals

Hi,

It sounds like there is a bug in the CSV import functionality.
      This will be fixed for the next release. The accentuated characters really ought to be preserverd. An upgrade of the import / migration tool has been planned.

The only way to fix this for you is to either: wait for new release and re-import the CSV file or remove/replace the square symbols manually.. (ouch!)

Sorry for the inconvenience,
      Robert Jan

Ps NO! :)

• parent manuel

parent manuel - 2008-04-22

quote :
      It sounds like there is a bug in the CSV import functionality.
      This will be fixed for the next release. The accentuated characters really ought to be preserverd. An upgrade of the import / migration tool has been planned.
      endquote

it doesn't work with the new version.

Moreover, the mass book update doesn't work, always the same : when you try to make mass book update from title and author name, there is nothing done.

any solution ?

1- correct, it has not been fixed yet. The import dunctionality will be rewritten for one of the next version. Currently I have not much time to work on the project and thus my focus is on bug fixing only. However to help you I will add an option to define the character encoding for the file to import. Currently this is set to UTF8 which is the cause of your problem.

2- If there is no exact match on the artist and title the item will not be updated. In the comparison some characters are stripped too allow for higher change of a match but this does not mean it will always succeed.

A newer version has not been planned but I expect to deliver one within 2 weeks from now.

My mistake on number 2:
      You cannot select the fields on which the mass update is done. Please explain what it is waht you are doing. Are you actually doing a mass update? The system internally matches on the ISBN if present, if not, title and author.

• parent manuel

I have a csv file with author name (only first name, for you van der Waals, not Jan), with title, and with dewey's classification number.
      so only the two first column could be used for searching. I done the mass book update with french research (amazon france, or alapage) and it does not work, only  "The synchronization has completed!" in the event log.

There is a difference between "it does not work" and "there is a bug in the mass update". Again, if it could not match the information with the information retrieved from the online search, it will not update your items. This is not a bug. However, just to be on the safe side, I will do some tests myself later this week.

• parent manuel

Yes, you're right, sorry for the inprecisions... If you want I can send you the CSV file to you, it could be useful (or not...)

tell me, and I send it to you.

So it is not "it doen't work" but "it do nothing"...

If you could send the CSV file to support@datacrow.net, that would be great!
            For the next version I will make sure your CSV file can be imported and also I will check whether the mass update for the book module is working correctly.

Cheers,
            RObert Jan