Database on a home server

• Chad

Chad - 2013-07-04

I recently switched to Data Crow and think it's great software. I'm just wondering if I could have 1 database on a file server, but have Data Crow installed on multiple computers accessing that single database. Is that possible with Data Crow? Thanks!

• Robert Jan van der Waals

Hi Chad,

You can have all the installations looking at the same database. Data Crow uses a "user directory" to store all its data. The various installations can share this data folder. To do so, start Data Crow with the -userdir:<location> parameter. Append the parameter with the full path of the selected user folder.

Not everyone knows how to supply this parameter. If you are unsure, wait for the next version of Data Crow as this one will help you! You will be asked on startup whether you want to change your user folder or continue to use the same one. With this you can quickly change the user folder for all your Data Crow installations.

Hope this helps,

Last edit: Robert Jan van der Waals 2013-07-10
  • Robert Jan van der Waals

The help does supply information on this parameter, forgot to mention that.. (F1)

• Chad

Chad - 2013-07-14

Hi Robert,

This is great news! I will patiently wait for the next release so DC will do this automatically for me.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks