Lots of Issues

mjgraf
2008-04-26
2013-01-20
  • mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-26

I just updated to the latest 3.2.1.1 and I am having lots of problems, which were in 3.2.1 and I thought I was just doing something wrong.

Platform, Mac

I can not Group By, it just displays Book (0)

When you enabled the different Look n Feel, I set it to QuaQua and never really did much after that as I was busy with other projects.
    Now that I am ready to start logging more items, the Item fields do not allow the text to be read.  If I edit an item, all the fields seem to be half height.  Then I went to change the LooknFeel back to default and it will not change.  The windows just go blank and I need to Quit the program.  The restart does not remember the change.

Any ideas if I have done something wrong?  Any harm with installing a previous release over this release?

• mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-26

corrected the UI issue.  I went into the data_crow.properties file and commented out the Look and Feel setting.  Started Data Crow and it went to default setting and all is right with the world.  Tried resetting to QuaQua again and all hell broke loose again.

Even though QuaQua has the best Mac look it is highly unstable and unusable.  I will stick with the Jtattoo.

Also, I grouped by Year for my Books, blank list.  Restarted data crow and the book list was grouped by year upon start.  Hopefully this will help track it down.

• mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-26

One more finding with the Group By.
      If it starts grouped, then changing the group by works without issue.  As soon as I Edit > Undo Grouping, I can no longer Group By.  I need to apply a group by, close datacrow and restart.

• mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-26

another finding.
      no need to exit datacrow.
      If I undo grouping, then apply a new grouping, get the blank list.  Select another module then go back to Books, the list will be grouped properly.

• mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-27

Have you noticed that changing the different JTattoo look n feel does not always fully update until after a restart?  Mostly seems to be the window color.

also submitted the decimal field bug.

Why doesn't the Description in the Main Window description format as shown in the editor?  The carriage returns are not performed.
      Is there a way to format the Quick View differently?

Help only comes up if I press F1.  If I use the menu it does not show.  (Mac)

• Robert Jan van der Waals

Quite a lot of things you are mentioning and I have to say I lost track a bit..
      However the following:

- Group by works for me. I noticed the group by issue; however it is quite simple to fix; re-apply the filter..
      - I will remove the QuaQua l&f as I have no way to test it anyway.
      - Yes, a restart is always the best thing to after changing the look and feel. However most things are applied.. most users find this acceptable (I know I do).
      - The quick view settings allow you to set the carriage return..
      - The decimal field is not bugged (see my comments)

Btw. please note that the grouping will be rewritten for the 3.2.2 version. I will fix the issues you mentioned in that release.

The help does not show up using the menu, this is a bug.

I would appreciate it if you logged the grouping pane bug and the help bug as bugs.
      This will ensure I won't forget about them..

Cheers,
      Robert Jan

• mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-27

You can reproduce the group by issue I am seeing?

If the quick view allows a carriage return, then how do i do it?  It is properly formated in the item editor.

I wanted to flesh out these issues before I submit the bug.

Also, in regards to the decimal field.
      Decimal Field: Numeric field, decimal representation. The representation of the value (example: 1,000,000.00) depends on the locale settings.

When I want to enter a value with decimals (199.99), the field will not let me, so I guess I am confused as to your response and closing of the bug report.  Even if I enter 19999, it is not displayed in the Quick View as 199.99

I am assuming this was added to help with
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4593117

- The quick view does not allow a carriage return. It is per design.
      - Decimal field works correctly: you can only enter the decimal separator symbol (I rechecked).
        This is per design. Of course 19999 will no be reformatted to 199.99.. that would be strange..
        If you can't enter any of the characters this might be a bug or you have set it up incorrectly.
        Again, it does work for me without any problem.
      - The group by issue is really not such a big deal. I will fix this for the next release.

Sorry if I come over a bit less unfriendly then usual, it is just then when I see a thread stating "lots of problems" with several messages and each containing several descriptions of issues you encountered.. let's just say its a bit off putting and not a nice way to work for me. Especially since I am doing all of this for free.. For the next time, please, just log a bug report for each. This way I can through each of them and close or either accept them myself.

Cheers,
      Robert Jan

• mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-28

sorry, after i posted i knew the subject was a little poor choice.  The first four or so messages were all related in how i corrected the UI issue and trying to describe the group by problem.  next time I will create several threads.

I hate logging bugs until I know it is a bug and I can describe how to reproduce it.

The decimal field is a strange issue then.  I have one decimal field that will not take a decimal and another that will.  One was created with pre 3.2.1 and the second that works with 3.2.1.1.  Go figure.  I also needed to reverse the . and ,

Are you 100% sure the field you tested really was a decimal field and not a normal numeri field? There should not be any difference between 3.2.1 and 3.2.1.1 for decimal fields.

Cheers,
      Robert Jan

• mjgraf

mjgraf - 2008-04-30

trust me I am sure it was decimal as I tried it several times when it was not working.  It may have been a 3.2.0 release I started with.  But anyways, it seems to be working now, hopefully everytime.