Data Crow Restore Issue

Keith
2013-12-28
2014-08-11
  • Keith

Keith - 2013-12-28

I recently updated my Data Crow to version 3.12.5. I made sure to backup my file before I installed the new version. Now after I installed it, and went to restore my file it won't load the software. First it confirms if I want to keep the User Directory the same. Then when it tries to load the modules it gives me a message saying "The database version of HSQL will be upgraded.
    IMPORTANT: after the upgrade your password has to be entered in CAPITALS!" After I click OK it presents a message saying "OTE: if the upgrade fails this process will be started again on your next startup. If this continues, run the following command from the command line / terminal:
    java -jar C:/Program Files/Data Crow/upgradeHSQL/upgradeHSQL.jar jdbc:hsqldb:file:" then my User Directory. I then get a message saying "The upgrade has been completed. Data Crow will now exit." and then it starts the whole process over again. Any ideas why this is happening? I would prefer not having to re-input my ENTIRE collection. Thanks!

Keith

• Robert Jan van der Waals

Hi Keith,

Have you tried running the command as shown in the messagebix from the command prompt / terminal?

What can happen is that the operating system blocks running the command. In these cases it needs to be run manually.

This upgrade was one of the harder ones - this will not be necessary anymore in future versions.

Cheers,
    Robert

• Keith

Keith - 2013-12-29

Robert,

I tried running it in a command prompt and it would either tell me "Unable to access jarfile C:Program" if I included spaces or "Could not create the Java virtual machine." if I did not include spaces after java. Any ideas why?

Thanks,
    Keith

• Tim Servo

Tim Servo - 2014-01-03

I'm having the exact same issue, running Windows 8.1. I've tried the same things that Keith has mentioned and get the same results. I installed Data Crow freshly on this machine and imported my data last night. All seemed well until I tried to open it again this morning and ran into this issue. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tim

• 4nk3n

4nk3n - 2014-02-10

Hi,

I have the same problem. Any one have some idee to fix the problem ?
    I tried running like Keith, and running upgrading the database of HSQL directly in the folders with no succed.

Thanks,
    4nk3n

• Zoltan

Zoltan - 2014-03-25

I'm having precisely same problem here as Keith reported on 2013-12-28. After supposedly successful upgrade of database, datacrow exits, and on restart keeps trying to upgrade HQSL again.
    When entering java command as instructed in command prompt/terminal, receiving error message: "exception: user not found DC_ADMIN"
    Result: all my data are no longer available. Had to reinstall earlier version 3.9.14 in order to access them again.

• Zoltan

Zoltan - 2014-03-25

Previously reported problem was when trying to update under Windows 7.
    As a workaround I set up DataCrow on my Linux partition, restored the data from a backup made on the Windows version, successfully upgraded HSQL (though this again had to be done manually), and then made a straightforward copy of the whole lot (DC installation folder plus folder with all the data in it) to my Windows partition.
    Going back to Windows, and opening DC application, everything worked like clockwork.
    My preliminary conclusion: there is clearly something wrong with the java upgrade when running under Windows.

• Joe Sirmans

Joe Sirmans - 2014-05-18

This might help some people.

java -jar "C:\Program Files\Data Crow\upgradeHSQL\upgradeHSQL.jar" jdbc:hsqldb:file:C:\Program Files\Data Crow\DATA/database/dc

the quote marks should allow the program to run. You'll need to change the folder names to reflect your installation. I'm still having issues running it as a local administrator

java.sql.SQLException: User not found: DC_ADMIN
    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
    at net.datacrow.core.database.upgrade.UpgradeHsqlEngine.main(UpgradeHsql
    Engine.java:44)

Sorry for not being able to respond to this message earlier due to my absence.

If you still experience this issue please send the zipped database files (located in the database folder of the Data Crow user folder) to info@datacrow.net.

The upgrade process was and is painful. Luckily this will only be necessary once.

• A-M

A-M - 2014-07-28

Hi,
    after the update to 4.0.1 DC starts, but i cant get access to my collections. I use the latest ubuntu and when i start DC from the terminal i get a lot of java-runtime-errors (err.txt). Is there a chance to get my data back?

Thanks.

AM

Last edit: A-M 2014-07-28

Hi,

Change the Look and Feel to something different (Settings > L&F). Looking at the log that might be the problem.

Robert

• A-M

A-M - 2014-07-29

Thanks a lot, I've changed the L&F to gtk+ and now there are no more errors. But ... DC ist still empty. In the LOG (CTRL+L) i can see some exceptions:

09:26:15 - java.lang.NullPointerException

09:26:15 - java.lang.NullPointerException

AM

• A-M

A-M - 2014-07-29

Last edit: A-M 2014-08-13
  • Alex

Alex - 2014-08-01

Hi,
    today I updated Datacrow to the latest version, however now I have to following problem: after restore my data from the old 3.xxx version I cannot get to see my collection (module)I created. I can't find it at active modules. Though I can see it when I open "module adjust wizard".
    I hope the problem is clear enough, can someone help pls, I won't think of losing the work i've done (it's just one module, but stil...).
    thanks i.a.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Can you create a bug report and attached the module.jar file (located in the modules folder) with the name of your module as well as the log file (data_crow.log).

Cheers,
    Robert

• Alex

Alex - 2014-08-03

Hi Robert,
      I don't know how to make a bug report, I had no error message.
      the other files are attached, hope you can sort it out. by the way, is it correct there are two module folders? "datacrow/modules" and "datacrow/data/modules". In "datacrow/data" is also another empty map "data". You see on the .jar file how the module is called :-)

thanks

Hi Alex,

Navigate to tickets, and then report bugs from this site.
    I can see from the log file that something is wrong but not yet waht exactly. If possible for you can you zip the modules and database folder of your data directory and send this to me by email? info@datacrow.net. I'll upgrade the database for you.

Robert

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks