Sharing database using Dropbox: potential problems, implications and opportunities

Kurt
2014-02-07
2014-02-11
  • Kurt

Kurt - 2014-02-07

I am fairly new to Data Crow and am still exploring the various possibilities this nice piece of software offers.

As I am currently using Dropbox to have a constant backup of my database, I was trying to access the database from another computer which seems to work fine. I suppose that as long as one makes sure that there is no concurrent access to the database that should probably work fine?!

As I don't know the inner workings of Data Crow I was wondering if Robert (and others) could share some tips and advice for this type of scenario: To what extend is Dropbox already usable for sharing data? What precautions do I have to take? What could go wrong in the worst case? And what would need to be done to have Data Crow work properly using Dropbox (i.e. by having some type of lock-file in Dropbox that would revert Data Crow into read-only mode)?

Best, Kurt

• Robert Jan van der Waals

I don't see any problems in usign dropbox for the sharing of the data of Data Crow. Dropbox does not lock files. It will however skip a file if it is not accessible. This means you will have delays at some points in the upload of the data.

Cheers, Robert

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks