Menu

Dark Rose Official web page

2010-03-29
2013-04-18
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Dmitry Soloviov

Dmitry Soloviov - 2010-03-29

People interested about development of DROS can post suggestions about design of project Official Web Page (http://darkroseos.sourceforge.net/) here.
    I'll be very glad to get any help!

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-03-30

This is a real basic stuff, just a simple front page.

It will be extended at areas with …, I didn't add any style to it yet, so it looks real plain, but I will. Also I will add a logo as soon as I think of one.

• Dmitry Soloviov

Dmitry Soloviov - 2010-03-30

Very well. It looks like a GNU project page. But I think we can made more interesting page using e.g. http://www.winehq.org/ as an example. ;) Although, any criticism about it will be appreciated.

• Dmitry Soloviov

_Here is some infos about project _

Motivation
    Dark Rose OS project has been started in March 2010. I decided to construct my own operating system because I want network-independent and flexible OS which can be installed entirely from sources without having Internet connection. I want source-based but automated installer, which can be configured in the begging of setup procedure and performs rest of compiling and deploying automatically. I tried a bunch of distros. But none of them can't fully correspond my needs.

Background

Dark Rose OS is a free source-based operating system on top of the Linux kernel. The goal is to provide extremely flexible but easy-to-compile Linux-like OS. Installation procedure is network-independent and automated.

Features _ (expected in beta, only a few will be implemented in pre-alpha and alpha) _
    1. Installs from special fast Dark Rose Live media (which can implement cross-compilation procedures)
    2. Pseudographic UI (ncurses-based)
    3. Packages storage synchronizer which can update all packages in system when user is on-line
    4. Line mode (off-line or on-line) switching
    5. Kernel Optimizer eXtreme (can perform some actions to create very small and fast kernel)
    6. A lot of stuff in Live for low-level system management

But main feature is extremely flexible package management, based on Portage system.

Community

• Sergio Rey Calvete

Hello everybody.

I am in charge of the web design process.

I will began to create it.

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-03-30

That was cool, I looked at the winehq thing and that seems like a good example. I'll work on it and this time I'll ad the CSS layer for the style.

• Dmitry Soloviov

Great! I think together we create awesome page with awesome description of awesome project ;)

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-03-30

Awesome! (had to do it.)

• Dmitry Soloviov

Dmitry Soloviov - 2010-04-01

Cool! Waiting for styles :)

• Dmitry Soloviov

Dmitry Soloviov - 2010-04-02

OH! I forgot! We need rename "Download" section to "Getting Dark Rose", with message
    "Project is now in planning stage. There is no ISO image or stand-alone installer. You can checkout SVN using following command
    $ svn co co http://darkroseos.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/darkroseos/plan/Plan1 darkroseos-plan
    under UNIX-like system or Cygwin to obtain current development version of Dark Rose."

• Sergio Rey Calvete

Well, I almost ready for showing you the first screenshot for DarkRose OS.

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-04-02

Okay, I worked on the styles, don't have the images ready yet but I'll get it working soon. I have the font and stuff but I have to work with background images

• Sergio Rey Calvete

I think that a black rose could be a good image for the logo

• Dmitry Soloviov

Dmitry Soloviov - 2010-04-02

Yes, I think so too. But not just simple photo of the black rose. Stylized image of intersection of many ellipsoidal figures with gradiental grayscale filling may be good logo too. What do you think about it?

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-04-02

That just put an awesome image into my head, I'll work on it.

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-04-02

I used the icon you said looked best and added a dark rose, loosely matches you description

• Dmitry Soloviov

Dmitry Soloviov - 2010-04-03

It's a good image, but blurring looking draft. And a resolution didn't match between inner and outer images. I like the second image you showed in post #6 at this thread https://sourceforge.net/projects/darkroseos/forums/forum/1114345/topic/3649737. Idea about adding rose flower image is good too.
    And one more thing:
    We need to move our discussions about logos, images and other official symbols of OS to thread "Images discuss" in section Open Discussion. Creating fine logo is a very hard process. I want to release first pre-alpha LiveCD with our logo. I think, you want something very similar ;)

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-04-03

Okay

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-04-04

Alright, I added dynamic, but simple, styles and image, so it looks great! I can give in a screenshot soon but I want to work on in a bit. I'm going to try to set up my own home server soon so I can get it actually on the web, it won't cost anyone anything or any problems. And Douglas, since I'm planning on a home server I need to you to send in any ideas and codes and then we can compare, contrast, and mesh together everything so we can get best of both ideas.

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-04-04

Oh, and sorry about an abundance of posts, but we need to emails everyone will have for the website. We need a concept of how they'll be made, not usernames or anything, and real names don't seem to right (would be okay tho).

• Dmitry Soloviov

Dmitry Soloviov - 2010-04-05

I don't clearly understand your last post, sorry. Did you mean list of electronic addresses or a list of developers or both of them?

• Sergio Rey Calvete

Dark Rose new design:

• FunScript

FunScript - 2010-04-05

Well the pop3 email accounts for the website (like, matrixmaster@darkrose.com).
    And that looks awesome douglas, we can change where it says "entirely source based OS" to "an entirely source based network independent os" because those seem to be the key points, but thats more up to dimitri, but I'm thinking the colors should be more black and red, I don't know, thats the colors that pop into my head. Its all up to the dude in charge tho.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)