Menu

No more power to EL panel

Issues
2024-06-04
2024-06-11
  • Damon Ferguson

Damon Ferguson - 2024-06-04

Hi
    Quick question: what would cause power to no longer output to the EL panel? I have built 2 of these these already using the exact components as per the manual. Worked wonderful for at least a year and a half but then just one day decided to not power on the EL panel. I switched out arduino and still the same thing. Servo control still functions fine. I have no problem building another as it takes me less time to do that than de-soldering, investigating and replacing the bad component. What do you think the colprite might be? I have a feeling it might be the 2N3906 PNP might be getting fried or something even though nothing smells like or looks like it fried. I still use the controller except I had to incorporate a MOSFET module, bypassing the 2N3906 and 2N2222A. I just don't like doing that as everything fit nice and tidy on one board.

Thanks for taking the time to read thru this and sorry about the poor grammar
    Damon Ferguson

• Nathan Woelfle

Nathan Woelfle - 2024-06-04

Hi Damon,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about the power issue with the panel.

My initial suspicion is either a loose wire connection from the transformer to the panel or a malfunctioning component. I've encountered a similar issue before, where a wire connection to the panel became loose over time due to repeated openings and closings. As you've built two panels, if they're close by, a quick troubleshooting step would be to try plugging the affected panel into the other device to see if the problem persists.

What makes you think it's a bad transistor? Could you provide more details on why you suspect this? If you have access to a voltmeter, we could perform some diagnostic tests to ensure all components are functioning correctly. I've included a helpful video guide on how to check transistors for reference: https://youtu.be/93bO2nBrptM?feature=shared

Please keep me updated on your findings.

Best regards,
    Nathan

• Damon Ferguson

Damon Ferguson - 2024-06-11

Sorry it took so long to respond, wife and grandchild keeping me pre-occupied. I know the el panel is functional as I have bench tested it. It's a 5 inch Round EL panel I ordered from Ellumiglow with a 12 inverter specific to that size. I'll have to disassemble the housing to get the board out and take some pictures so you can see what I have done, probably easier for me to help explain but in a nutshell, I use a 2 pin terminal to connect the light. My thinking is there should be 12 volts at the terminal but when checking, I find no voltage. moving past the capacitors to check along the circuit trace and still no voltage and finally checking at the leg of the 3906, no voltage. after that i made assumptions and just came to the conclusion that one or both transistors were bad. However I will remove them and test as per that video you have linked. Now, another quick question: will a Xiao SEED ESP32C3 work with this setup minus the VIN? I would like to make the control as small as possible thus making a less bulky housing.

Again I will update you on my findings as soon as I get a chance, hopefully in the next couple days. Not tonight though, rare event is occurring: NO CLOUDS!!!

Damon Ferguson

• Nathan Woelfle

Nathan Woelfle - 2024-06-11

No problem with the delayed response; life can get busy, and I completely understand. Sounds like you had some good distractions.

Regarding the voltage, we should only see 12V at the 2-pin terminal when the brightness is at its maximum. We can check voltages, but I'll wait until after you've had a chance to verify the transistors.

Regarding your question about the Xiao SEED ESP32C3, they do support Arduino code, so you could use one, but it will require some modifications to the circuits.

Take your time in replying, and definitely seize those rare events – they're important! Good luck tonight!