Menu

Is this possible? Using a Radio Control BEC for Servo power

2021-05-16
2022-01-15
  • Andrew Wall

Andrew Wall - 2021-05-16

Hi all,

Since I have a spare BEC/ESC that I used on my radio control aircraft that supplies power to the receiver and servos, do you think it would be possible to use this instead of the 780X and associated circuitry and just supply the Servo with the voltage through the BEC but supply the Signal via the Arduino and a 10K resistor? What is the Zener diode used for between VIN and GND on the Arduino?

Looks a good project, I am going to build the one without the EL panel as I already have a panel I use for flats. I have already 3D Printed most of the parts to go onto a 8" f4 newtonian. Power will be from a 13.4V supply which drives all my other gear. This will be used in my Remotely operated Observatory under Voyager software.

Anyway, help appreciated on the questions above.

• Nathan Woelfle

Nathan Woelfle - 2021-05-18

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the kind words. I hope this project works great for you.

I have not used or tested a BEC/ESC, so I can't personally speak to using one, but I would assume that, as long as it provides the correct voltage the servo requires, it shouldn't be a problem. To your second question regarding the Zener, it is used to regulate power to the Arduino. An Arduino Nano can support voltage from 7 - 12V, and even though the input circuit is for 12V, I use the Zener to drop the voltage down to ~ 9V in case of a power surge.

R/
      Nathan

• Andrew Wall

Andrew Wall - 2022-01-15

Just an update, I was able to get the RC ESC to work with the Arduino Nano and the Darklight software. I had installed the sketch earlier but things got in the way and was unable to test. I managed to get it hooked up using the power from the ESC that usually goes to the throttle control on the aircraft, I chopped off the motor wires and ran the power to the nano and servo via a Y lead. The single Signal wire from pin 9 sent to the servo directly. I was able to move the servo 90deg open and closing, but I need it to move 270deg to completely open the dust cap on my scope. I tried changing the sketch and reuploading but was getting an error which I am still in the process of working out. So for now it's working but will have to do more head scratching to re-upload the sketch. I have a feeling I might have broken the bootloader or something on the arduino. Error I am getting is below. I am using a DS3218MG servo with 270deg of travel.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d
    Problem uploading to board. See https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/sections/360003198300 for suggestions.
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x3d