Menu

Add a dew heater?

Taylor J
2024-08-27
2024-08-28
  • Taylor J

Taylor J - 2024-08-27

I played around with it a little bit.
    I attached a sample Arduino program with dew control inputs/outputs and a function added to your program. I probably didn't integrate it perfectly as I have never written anything for ASCOM before, but its a starting point.

Added a DHT22 sensor (ambient conditions) to pin 8, PWM 12v MOSFET heater control to pin 3, and a DS18B20 temp sensor (for the heating element behind the flat panel for PWM control) to pin 4.

• Nathan Woelfle

Nathan Woelfle - 2024-08-28

Hi Taylor,

Overall, yes, the idea is "relatively easy" to add to the project. I’ve considered adding a flexible heating element, similar to the one you referenced, and it’s something I was planning to investigate in the future. I’ve been focused on software updates and finalizing a couple of PCB designs for the current iteration, so I haven’t had the chance to test the warmth of EL panels to determine if it'll offer any benefit. Over the last five years, I haven’t seen a need for it, but it may depend on the climate a person is in. Regardless, I’d be more than happy to work with you to include an optional heater in the DLC.

Since ASCOM has standards, writing for it isn’t too difficult. The only real downside is that even though we declare our extra features, most third parties don’t support them and stick strictly to the standards. For example, I once requested some additional features while also informing Voyager about an issue in their program. I provided documentation showing that their program was attempting to issue commands before establishing a valid connection to a flat panel, whether it was my driver or even the ASCOM simulator. Unfortunately, I was more or less told to kick rocks—they insisted that their ASCOM cover calibrator feature works perfectly and has been out for a couple of years, so there was nothing they could do. I still wish they would show the current state of the cover and the current brightness values, but I’ve moved on from them and am getting acquainted with N.I.N.A.

Your sketch looks like a good concept but will definitely need some changes. I’ll send you a PM to discuss further.

R/
    Nathan