Novell Authentication

• Nobody/Anonymous

1. Does DACS support Novell Directory Tree authentication "out of the box"?

1.1 If not, can it support Novell Directory Tree authentication?
    1.1.1 In general terms, what would be involved?

• Barry Brachman

Barry Brachman - 2006-08-11

1. I have no direct experience authenticating against a Novell directory, so I don't know. 
      Perhaps someone who has tried it can comment.
      If the directory offers an LDAP interface and
      provided you require a username/password to bind to the directory, I'd guess that local_ldap_authenticate would work for Novell just as it works for Microsoft ADS.  After building DACS, it shouldn't take much time for you to find out.  See dacs_authenticate(8).

To answer 1.1 and 1.1.1, I'd need to know more specifically what form(s) of authentication you require.  Username/password? X.509 certificates? smart cards? And which specific product are you using? eDirectory?

In the simplest case, you're talking about a situation only slightly different from that of ADS, so I wouldn't expect much needs to be done - we could probably offer some help.

In theory, DACS ought to be able to support just about any style of authentication.  Support for PAM-based authentication is pending some demand for it, but if there is a PAM module for your directory service then that might eventually offer another approach.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks