Menu

installation

Help
2000-07-28
2000-08-17
  • Charles Hixson

Charles Hixson - 2000-07-28

Hi,
    I'm just now trying to install the rpm (from the zip file) onto CygWin for Win95.
    I installed the latest version of CygWin today (07/28/00), and, noticing the existence of an rpm for CygWin (YAY!)
    I pulled that at the same time.  CygWin seemed to install without problem, though I have noticed that both mkpasswd and mkgroup seem to want a dll (NETAPI32.dll) with entry points that they aren't finding. (i.e., I have the dll, but the routines aren't finding the entry points that they need).
    Whether this signifies anything or not, I don't know.
    However,
    when I issue the command "rpm --initdb" or "rpm --ignoreos --initdb" or any of several variants, I get the response
    "Unable to open /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc for reading:  no such file or directory."

Now it is true that the first command that I issued after extracting the program into the CygWin root was:
    rpm -qa
    rather than
    rpm --initdb
    and if it is appropriate, then I could just reinstall.  But I find myself at a loss as to HOW to proceed.  (Except to ask here for help, so)
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Jonas Jensen

Jonas Jensen - 2000-08-17

The mk* files require NT or 2k, so don't worry about that for now. If you need security-stuff, try looking into crypt, but it's much harder to use on non-NT OSs.

It sounds like you've extracted the rpm package with Winzip or some other non-cygwin tool, this will screw up most programs. In the case of rpm, use Windoze explorer to copy the files in /usr/lib to /lib and /usr/bin to /bin, and you'll be alright.