Newbie needs help

Help
Weng
2004-01-19
2004-01-20
  • Weng

Weng - 2004-01-19

Hi, I just installed Cygwin and Cygnome. I have problems like other users as well but unfortunately their solution did not apply to my problems :( I tried installing GTK development lib yet I could not start the Sawfish WM Config tool.

I got a message in the window saying that Sawfish isnt running. I checked the tasklist and saw Sawfish in the process list. What am I missing here?

Also, I keep getting this error message in the terminal window:
    Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3497 (gtk_widget_get_style): assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed.

I appreciate any inputs. Thank you

• Tim Reilly

Tim Reilly - 2004-01-19

I am pretty much a newbie too.  I have cygwin running on a laptop which is at home right now.  If you can't get Gnome to run you could try Window Maker.  It is pretty nice too.  You can run gmc (gnome midnight commander) out of it and life is pretty good.  It seems to me you type wmaker and the config program starts.  You may have to do some screwing around to get Xwin to know that is the window manager you want to run.  Window maker seems to run faster than Gnome if you are running this on an old pc.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Tim

• Weng

Weng - 2004-01-20

Hi treilly1, thanx a lot for your input. I realize gnome takes way much memory out of my system too. I'll give Window Maker a try :) thanx  again.