How to run gnome in full screen mode?

laser
2003-02-16
2003-02-20
  • laser

laser - 2003-02-16

How to run gnome in full screen mode? The default mode is in a window.

thanks.

• Yang Guilong

Yang Guilong - 2003-02-18

Maybe it's better to send a mail to cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com, asking how to make XFree86 server (or an application) run in full screen mode.

• Elliott Wilcoxon

Actually, you should head over to http://cygwin.com/ -> Mailing Lists, and make use of their search function first.

• laser

laser - 2003-02-19

I know how to run X server in fullscreen mode. i.e.,
      XWin -fullscreen

But when I type ``XWin -fullscreen &'' and ``startgnome &",
      the X server is closed and started again.
      I don't know how to deal with it.

can you tell me how gnome works?

• Yang Guilong

Yang Guilong - 2003-02-20

Read startgnome.bat or /opt/gnome/bin/startgnome, then you'll know why the X server starts again.

You can issue command 'gnome-session &'  after you used XWin -fullscreen.

• Elliott Wilcoxon

There are two options, both involve making a .xserverrc file in your home directory.  There are two ways to get a fullscreen window:
      -fullscreen, which makes a new window that's fullscreen, and AFAIK requires you to do an Alt-Tab to change to another Windows window.

-nodecoration, which creates a new window without the bar at the top, or border

To use these options, put the following in ~/.xserverrc

X -fullscreen :0

Replace -fullscreen with -nodecoration depending on which option you want.  For my own needs, I prefer -nodecoration over fullscreen, but I recommend anyone who wants a full-screen X session to try both out.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks