Acrobat Reader update notification

2012-03-15
2013-01-02
  • hipsterdoofus

hipsterdoofus - 2012-03-15

I was wondering, is there a setting that disables the update notification for acrobat reader?  I see that you have a setting in there to disable or enable automatic updates but I didn't think that was all together.  I've researched this a little myself and always run into still getting a popup on the system tray when there is a new update, which is what I would like to disable.

Thanks!  And thanks for making this - very helpful!

• Nov

Nov - 2012-03-15

I will look into it tomorrow. But I think your best bet is to look into Adobe Updater policies, cause it is the service that handles all update functionality for all Adobe products.

• hipsterdoofus

Yeah I was thinking it may be a separate process now - maybe the Adobe ARM service?  May be nice to have that as another service to have an admx for if it has any changes that can be made.

• Nov

Nov - 2012-03-15

Yeah, it's ARM service. There is a template for it in CustomADMX. Adobe Updater that is. Download it and give it a try. :-)

• hipsterdoofus

So it is!  I missed that in the files - will take a look at it.

• Nov

Nov - 2012-03-16

I just looked into it and I think that Adobe Updater policices are really what you need. Specifically, Computer Configuration - Admininstrative templates - Custom Policies - Adobe Systems Inc, - Adobe Updater - Adobe Updater 1.0 - Updater Configuration. There is Update Mode policy which should be set to Manual. I think it will do the trick.

Write back! Hope this helps

• Nov

Nov - 2012-03-16

I have just updated Adobe Updater policies. You'll need them if you are using x64 operating systems. New templates available only in installer, so you'll have to download latest version which is 1.9.2.

Have fun!

• hipsterdoofus

hipsterdoofus - 2012-03-16

Great - I will take a look at it.  I noticed after updating there is a "Update Mode" and an "Adobe Reader Update Mode" - what is the difference?

Also, unfortunately I may not be able to test it until the next update comes out from adobe since all my machines are up-to-date at the moment - but that shouldn't be too long!  Thanks again!

• Nov

Nov - 2012-03-16

Have you read description of those policies? Sometimes reading can be very handy :-D

In short: before 10.1 Reader and Acrobat tried to read the same value from registry which is controlled by Update mode policy, after updating to 10.1 or later Acrobat still reads its settings from a value controlled by Update mode and Reader reads its settings from a value controlled by Adobe Reader Update Mode. I think I will rename Update mode policy next time I'm releasing update for CustomADMX cause it confuses people.

• hipsterdoofus

Yeah the wording is very similar on the description so I was trying to sort out what the difference was this morning before I had any coffee - ARG!

• Nov

Nov - 2012-03-16

I never do anything before my morning coffee :-) Sorry for flaming

• hipsterdoofus

Especially with GPO - i realized the other day I was doing group policy stuff before coffee and made myself stop - that could have been disastrous!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-06-28

Hi,

I think there is an error in the updater configuration GPO object.  If you set updates to Manual using the GPO it sets iCheck or iCheckReader to a value of 3.  The value 3 is for Automatic.  A value of 0 represents Manual update.

Thanks