Scanning working in Ubuntu 10.10 - How To

JAMES
2012-07-02
2012-12-23
  • JAMES

JAMES - 2012-07-02

Thanks to all for your efforts in the development of the CUPS driver/SANE backend for Kodak Aio printers!

I had previously successfully installed the CUPS driver and would now like to document my experience installing the SANE backend for Kodak Aio for an ESP 5250 printer.

I run Ubuntu 10.10 on an old IBM Thinkpad laptop and I am a user rather than a developer. This process took about 8 +/- hours of reading release notes, readme files, man pages, and forum posts and a good bit of trial and error.

Here's what finally worked for me:

1. From sourceforge.net/projects/cupsdriverkodak/files/scanning-sanebackend
       Downloaded kodakaio-02.4.tar.gz
       Extracted to /home/kodak directory

2. Installed 3 of the recommended packages. libusb-dev was already installed on my system.
       sudo apt-get install libcups2-dev
       sudo apt-get install libcupsimage2-dev
       sudo apt-get install libcupsdriver1-dev

3. Followed Release Notes instructions:
       cd kodakaio-02.4
       cd sane-backends-kodakaio-02.4
       ./configure -prefix=/usr -sysconfdir=/etc -localstatedir=/var BACKENDS=kodakaio
       make
       sudo make install

4. Edited the file /etc/sane.d/kodakaio.conf
       # net autodiscovery                      (I don't use wifi with this printer)
       usb 0x040a 0x4041                        (ESP 5250 usb codes)

scanimage -L still did not see the scanner

5. Edited the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
       kodakaio

scanimage -L now sees the scanner as root only

(Note: The Release Notes seem to be in error here, referencing kodakaio.conf
              instead of dll.conf. As corrected, steps 4 and 5 should be reversed
              to match the Release Notes.)

6. Created a scanner group using system->Administration->Users and Groups
       and added myself to this group.

7. Created /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libsane.rules

LABEL="libsane_usb_rules_begin"
       # Kodak ESP 5250
       ATTRS{idVendor}=="040a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="4041", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
       LABEL="libsane_usb_rules_end"

8. scanimage -L now sees the scanner as myself(and root)

scanimage > mytestscanfile
       Simple Scan
       XSane Image Scanning Program

Are all working under Ubuntu 10.10

I hope this summary helps someone save a few hours of research.

James

• PaulN

PaulN - 2012-07-02

Thank you for this contribution, it really helps to have a step by step howto.
    Sorry about the mix up between dll.conf and kodakaio.conf
    When you have been developing something for months, it's difficult to remember all the steps in the right order. For example I would have all the dependencies installed, and entries in the .conf files long before I write the release notes.
    Sane is very difficult to install, even when you know how to do it!
    It would be nice if it was a bit more automated.

• PaulN

PaulN - 2012-07-02

I have a question about your scan results.
    When I scan blank white paper using my ESP5250 I get a significant amount of yellow speckles on the scan result.
    Do you get the same problem?

With my Hero 9.1 I get a nice white scan.

• JAMES

JAMES - 2012-07-06

Paul:

I tried scanning a piece of white copy paper in simple scan and xsane and both seem to be fine on my 5250. I don't see any yellow. Playing with the brightness control in xsane can produce a field of bluish speckles. Upping the brightness cleans out the specks.

When I figure out an install of something, I tend to write up a how-to document for myself in case I have to do it all again from scratch. For example when I first installed Ubuntu 10.10 I didn't have an internet connection. So, I have a how-to for installing Ubuntu and the LAMP packages from two CDs that a friend downloaded and burned for me. I certainly don't want to figure all of that out twice!

Thanks again for your efforts.

James