Menu

Help with startup for begginer

Developers
2010-06-10
2013-04-26
  • Ernest Kuttubaev

Hello, all. I am new one in this team and i am glad to work with you all. As soon as i am newbie in this project, i need some help. Plase help us, beginners to start with something, and get involved in the development of the cubrid cluster in a short time as possible.

I have already downloaded source code, and build up the alpha version for windows, and successfully installed. Now cubrid service start successfully starts all other services as broker, manager etc.

Now i don't know what to start with?. Where i can find the tool for querying database, is there any manager, cubrid manager starts in console, but there is not GUI interface to interact with. So what should be my next step, Do i need to install cubrid manager from cubrid project. Or there is something another  console tool for that. And as soon as this is a cluster, will the cubrid manager of the main CUBRID project work with it?

And, I want to know on which step does the team working on? Which kind of problems does it facing? Even now i can't help to solve this problem, i would be glad if you informed us about. And who is distributing task. and is there any task board for this?

Sinceresly, a friendly dummy Ernest Kuttubaev

• Kieun Park

Kieun Park - 2010-06-10

Hi, congratulation for success to build.

At first, I'd like to say where the CUBRID Cluster project is regarding source code level. Currently, source code of the CUBRID Cluster is the same with the release branch of CUBRID R2.2. R3.0 and R3.1 are under developing and they will be released shortly. Anyway, the CUBRID Cluster project is started/branched from the CUBRID R2.2.

Secondly, I will explain the structure (and the policy) of CUBRID Clsuter svn repository.
    (See the y article in https://sourceforge.net/projects/cubridcluster/forums/forum/1129811/topic/3726600)
    You can get information by "svn list https://cubridcluster.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cubridcluster/branches".
    Currently we are starting to implement "global schema" feature, which is Milestone 1, so that we will use the 'global_schema' branch. Please download the source code from the branch and commit your contribution into them later.
    Or, if you want to do your own small project, you can request us to make a new branch of your own. You may need to prepare suggestion document.

Thirdly, in breifly, milestones of this project are;
    M1: global schema
    M2: distributed partition
    M3: load balancing
    M4: stablization

So far so good to get a grasp of this project?

Ok, now I'm going to answer to your questions.

Q. Is there any tool for querying database?
    A. Yes. You can use CUBRID Manager GUI tool for that purpose. You can refer CUBRID Manual how to use it. Probalby you are confused between CUBRID Manager client (GUI tool) and CUBRID Manager server (daemon). CM server is started automatically when you started CUBRID service tray in Windows version. Then, you need to run CUBRID Manager.
    By the way, using CUBRID Manager you can not only query the database but also create a new database, start and stop database server, and do many management tasks.

Q. Do I need to install CUBRID Manager form the CUBRID project?
    A. CUBRID Manager is included in the source tree. If you are building in Windows, it is not built together. CUBRID Manager client is Java program. So you need to install JDK to build it. Simply, you can download the CUBRID Manager from the CUBRID project site.

Q. Is there something another console tool?
    A. Yes. the basic console interactive tool is 'csql'. You can easily find it and you can get necessary information from the manual.

Q. I want to know on which step does the team working on.
    A. Ok, I've explained the current status of this project. We are right now going to take the first step. I'll break down milestone into small tasks, and will register them into Trac. (https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/cubridcluster/) You can get necessary information from the Trac. We will manager all tasks through that board.
    One more, we'll have Triage Meeting regularly. Triage meeting has whole power of managing tasks, assigning them to developers, and making decision about issues.

Lastly, I'd like to give you a small warming up task. Please let me know about your specialty in terms of developing database engine. You don't need to be an expert. You can contribute not only by coding but also ideation.

• Ernest Kuttubaev

Thanks, for reply.

• Kieun Park

Kieun Park - 2010-06-24

Hey, ekuttubaev

Are you ready to get development task for CUBRID Cluster project?

• Ernest Kuttubaev

Yes. Mr, I reviewed the code. The start with a specific task would help to be involved in the development

• Kieun Park

Kieun Park - 2010-06-28

Hey, how about taking the ticket #19.
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/cubridcluster/ticket/19
    I heard that you have friends who want to do tasks as a team, right?

• Ernest Kuttubaev

Yes, I have, but they refused to work now, as they don't have time

• Ernest Kuttubaev

Yes, i am ready to take this ticket, is there any deadline?

• Kieun Park

Kieun Park - 2010-06-30

What's your estimation? How about one month? starting from spec design…

Because you are not familiar to our development process, I think you'd better to do a task that can be separated and does not require much cooperations.