In-Page Tags on cubrid.org

2011-04-11
2013-06-05
  • Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2011-04-11

1) As pages on cubrid.org can be tagged, we need to display the list of tags at the bottom of each page.

2) The tags should be linkable, and once clicked on one of them, the search results should display the pages tagged with the same tag.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2011-04-19

Dear Esen,

We have implemented the both items. Please check it on cubrid.org and let me know your opinion.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2011-04-20

1) Fixed the pagination block placement. Was dangling at the top.

2) Is it possible to integrate this tag search logic to cubrid.org search? As you know by default XE searches various scopes including articles, comments, titles. And we set them to be title and articles. I think it is possible to add one more scope which is "Tags" and have a checkbox on cubrid.org search. Then do normal search and check tags to search only tags. This would solve many problems. Otherwise, currently it looks good, though inconvenient. You have to manually customize styles, etc.

3) Please modify the search results display to look like cubrid.org search results.

4) On pages with no tags defined it displays linkable . See http://www.cubrid.org/cubrid_manager. When clicked it displays a message which asks the user to input keyword to search. But as you know we cannot input keyword for tags. Only defined  tags are allowed. That's why the item 2) would solve this issue, too. At this moment, please do not display anything if no tags defined.

5) If defined, please make it look better at least like on http://blog.cubrid.org

6) I think, as we can display these tags, we can also display "related pages" tagged with similar tags. There is no difficulty to implement this, I suppose. Please move the new_tutorials logic to this module. Perhaps we can leave new_tutorials widget only for Documentation page to display the latest tutorials.

Thanks.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2011-04-27

There was an issue in the tags add-on related with the pages that have also translations in other languages (other than english). I noticed the problem on the 'tutorial' page and I was wondering if translated version was added long time ago by accident or recently, according the the latest plans of having multiple languages content on cubrid.org? (just asking)

Regarding your questions please see below my answers:
    2) Since we don't have any documentation or source code for the lucene service, the only thing we can do in order to make lucene search also in the tags is to trial and error. Considering this, I cannot make an estimation for this task. However, this is not very important as long as this task improves something and has some benefits. But I don't think this is the case here. Beside, I don't see a reason for combining full text search with a tag search. There are different use cases.

3) We will customize the tag search results page to look exactly like the standard cubrid.org search results page. This will take about half an hour top.

4) Fixed already.

5) We will make it look like on blog.cubrid.org

6) I think that showing the tags of the page and showing the related pages are two different functionalities and we should not combine them. Of course, there is no difficulty to implement this but anyway it requires a day to make the code changes, test it, make the changes on cubrid.org and I am not sure it's worthing (just because few more clicks are required on the back end when we administrate this?). If you consider that this will help us we will do it, of course, but please consider this first.

• Laura Oh

Laura Oh - 2011-04-28

Answer by Laura on your question:
    cubrid.org will have multiple languages, at least Korean documents very soon.

I agree to Catalin.
    If XE improves in near future, then we can use it later. Customizing functionalities of XE seems inefficient at this moment.
    If a new feature is needed, report the issue to XE dev team.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2011-04-29

We have made the improvements for items 3) and 5)

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2011-04-29

Fixed now the pagination display regarding item 5)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks