support for PHP 5.3 in CUBRID R2.2

Laura Oh
2010-06-24
2013-06-05
  • Laura Oh

Laura Oh - 2010-06-24

Since CUBRID support for PHP 5.3 was needed before the CUBRID 3.0 release, we have decided to port the CUBRID 8.2.2 code for PHP 5.3 separately as a community project.
    It is now available on the sf SVN a version of php connector that has PHP 5.3 support. It can be found on the following address:
    https://cubrid.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cubrid/cubrid-tools/php-connector/branches/RB-8.2.2

Next step can be one of the following:
    1. Update this page http://www.cubrid.org/php_api_for_cubrid and let the users know that there is a community version of php connector that has PHP 5.3 support and post there only the SVN address were it can be found.
    2. Upload on this page http://www.cubrid.org/php_api_for_cubrid the binaries for the new PHP API (with support for PHP 5.3) (but which are based on a non-official CUBRID php connector release).
    3. Both 1 and 2

Please let us know your opinion about how to proceed next regarding the PHP connector with 5.3 support.

Note: the binaries of these php extensions seems to depend on the following items:
              - PHP version (in our case 5.3.1)  
              - compiler version (probably for PHP 5.2 there was no difference but for PHP 5.3 it is)
              - type of the extension: thread-safe or single-threaded

The code for CUBRID 3.0 connector will be ported in the same way, after the 3.0 release. In that version we will eliminate the deprecated calls and use the new method of parsing the arguments.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-06-24

Catalin,

That's a good news! Please follow both 1st and 2nd steps.
    1. Upload PHP library to CUBRID SVN files for both Linux and Windows users as before.
    2. Create new entries under PHP API for CUBRID R2.2 for both version PHP 5.2.x, and PHP 5.3.1. Let users decide which version they need. The same applies for PHP API for CUBRID R.2.1. Please update this both for Linux and Windows users.
    3. And add corresponding links to PHP Libraries.
    4. Also if you can compile both thread-safe and non-safe, we should better do so. Because, PHP users download might need either of them.
    There is a related question. Is the tutorial How to build PHP for CUBRID applicable for building PHP 5.3.x library? Is there anything necessary to be changed? If, so we have to update the tutorial.

If anything new, let us know right away!
    Have a good day!

Esen.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-06-29

Catalin,

Have you updated/uploaded PHP 5.3.x Library for CUBRID? On cubrid.org I do not see any changes. Please upload it.

I have one question. Can users use PHP 5.3.x Library for CUBRID with PHP 5.2.x?

The reason I am asking is that we can submit our PHP Library to PHP PECL, an official repository for PHP Extensions, so that it is officially widely available for all PHP users. In addition, it is possible that PHP Development team will continue developing this extension. Look at this link http://pecl.php.net/account-request.php to submit our PHP Library.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-06-29

Esen,

We haven't uploaded the PHP 5.3.x driver for CUBRID yet. Initially it was about adding support for PHP 5.3.x in CUBRID 8.2.2 and we have done that. After that you said to do the same with the 8.2.1 version of CUBRID. We have also compiled the version for 8.2.1 and we will upload and update both sets of binaries (for 8.2.1. and for 8.2.2) on cubrid.org probably today or at most tomorrow.

Regarding the use of PHP 5.3.x library with PHP 5.2.x, it is not possible. As I've said in my previous reply, the PHP 5.3.x extension depends on several things: PHP version, compiler version, type of extension.
    It will not work even with a different 5.3 version (let's say 5.3.2). So it will not work with previous PHP version.

I think that adding the PHP extension for CUBRID on PHP PECL site would be a good thing. I am not sure how to proceed with this: adding several version of PHP extension for CUBRID?

BTW, I have one question for you: what happened with the tutorial article  How to build PHP for CUBRID? It was moved or something? This happened since last week.

• Daniel Ionescu

Daniel Ionescu - 2010-06-29

Dear All,

I have added the connector for PHP 5.3.x for download on cubrid.org. You can also see it in the files listing on sourceforge.net.

Best regards,
    Daniel.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-06-30

The article on Wiki was renamed to How to Build PHP Library for CUBRID. If you can't find any articles, you can start searching using initial words like "How to bulid…" I have corrected the link PHP API page at cubrid.org

Question: Is there any difference in code between PHP API for CUBRID 2.2 and CUBRID 2.1? If PHP API code has some differences, please upload the source code for PHP CUBRID 2.1 to sf.net. We have the source uploaded for CUBRID 2.2.

Concerning PHP PECL, I will contact with them and let you know the results.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-06-30

There is no difference between the code of PHP API for CUBRID 2.1 and PHP API for CUBRID 2.2.
    We will update the application and tools page and add this detail as a note.

• Maximilian Machedon

The link to the Wiki article in "contrib\php\INSTALL" still refers to the old URL. The link should be updated and perhaps we should have a redirect from the old URL to the new one.

• Esen Sagynov

I will create the redirect now.

• Esen Sagynov

I got the reply from PHP PECL Team. They are asking where we would like to maintain PHP Extension on sf.net or PHP's own SVN. If we separate this PHP Library project to svn.php.net we can maintain it with the account they provide us. That would be more integrated way to handle the project. I need quick answer.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-06-30

My question would be which PHP API version are we posting on PHP PECL site?
    Regarding the location of the SVN were the extension will be maintained I don't think that would matter too much. The only thing that I can think about is that if we use sf SVN we will bring more traffic and visits to the CUBRID project on Sourceforge.
    I think we should also discuss with the development team of CUBRID: what should happen with the new modifications that are made to the extension by the community? Will these changes be integrated into the next CUBRID official releases? Probably the development team should sync with that repository from time to time.

• Esen Sagynov

The idea to drive traffic to sf.net is nice. I will ask to keep it.

As I don't know the structure of PECL repository and versioning, I don't know which PHP Library version will be uploaded. Based on logical conclusions - all versions. Because main PHP will automatically include the necessary version to its extensions directory when making the installer.

I didn't understand your last point. What do you mean by "integrating into the next CUBRID official release"? PHP Library is not integrated to any release.

• Nobody/Anonymous

"contrib\php\INSTALL" already committed refering to the old URL.
    Esen, please do not change the link somehow affecting the user access later. you can change tiles and contents not the link.
    anyway, redirect works well and I checked it.

• Nobody/Anonymous

let me clear this issue:
    1. php library sources on PECL and some changes or improvement can made:
    1-1 that SVN will be managed by one of us, and some contributions can be made so that it can become a better one than the official CUBRID PHP. no problem on this matter. There can be changes btw 2 svn repositories. however korean dev team will try to follow up to sync somehow.

1-2 cubrid new version can have improved php libraries while PECL svn can still have no further improvements. in this case, we can commit new features from the official CUBRID to PECL svn version.

1-3. if big differences are made btw 2 SVN, it will make users confused on which php library they have to use. however, we don't have to worry on in advance. If that happens, CUBRID team has to thank the community. :D
    Not to happen that way, official version will replect changes from the PECL sources. 

2. which version will be uploaded?
    As catalin said, cubrid 3.0 will have more than 10 new functions and it will be released on 9th July if Full QA passed.
    I think CUBRID 3.0 php source will be the best for PECL SVN. what others think?

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-07-01

Max,

As you might now MediaWiki does not provide an opportunity to change the title. The only way to change the title is move the page under another name, which changes the URL as well. So, sometimes I need to do it. From now on, I will be leaving the redirect behind in all cases to make sure no one runs into the dead link.

Concerning the PHP PECL, if we decide to use svn.php.net to host PHP Library source code, it has to be branched out for different versions as always. So, there won't be only one library. There will be both PHP 5.3.x compatible, and PHP 5.2.x compatible. We will have to maintain both code, as, in fact, we do now.

Answer for Catalin: real PHP team will release their own PHP installer (real PHP, not library) for 5.2.x, 5.3.x, and later versions. Those releases will include CUBRID_PHP_API depending on our build as well. They will ask us to submit 5.3.x compatible and 5.2.x compatible. So, all CUBRID_PHP_API versions have to be uploaded. Let's proceed with them and see.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-07-01

Esen,

As soon as the new version of CUBRID (3.0) will be released (and also the new version of PHP API) we will make the changes for supporting PHP 5.3.x and we will upload on PECL both versions (for 5.3.x and for 5.2.x). So there will be 2 PHP API (for Cubrid) libraries that will have to be maintained.  We will proceed this way.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-07-05

Catalin,

Today I received an approval from PECL team to include CUBRID PHP API. I have applied for PECL and SVN accounts. Once they send me account details I will let you know. In the meantime, we have to make CUBRID PHP API documentation in the format they require. Please look at http://wiki.php.net/doc/howto/pecldocs. That tutorial will explain how exactly the documentation should be prepared. Following those instructions will generate XML "templates" which then needed to be filled out with our content (function descriptions, return values, possible error messages, examples, …). I think it will be very quick, you can automate it.

If you have any questions, let me know.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-07-05

We have started to prepare the documentation in the requested format. I hope it will be ready in 1 or 2 days.
    We don't have too much to automate because the info about the methods is in 2 different files with different formats.
    However if no automation will be possible we will do it manually.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-07-23

Good News!
    Today in the morning I received a message from PHP Group. Here is what they say:
    "Your SVN account (cubrid) was created.
    You should be able to log into the SVN server within the hour, and
    your cubrid@php.net forward to esen.sagynov@nhn.com should
    be active within the next 24 hours.
    Welcome to the PHP development team! If you encounter any problems
    with your SVN account, feel free to send us a note at group@php.net.
    "

So, SVN account is ready, now we need to wait for PECL acount.

Catalin, are you done withe the PHP documentation for PECL? It should have been ready long ago. So, I think once we receive the PECL account we will be able to upload them.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-07-23

Just now received the final approval from PHP PECL team. They granted the access to their resources. Here is what they say:

"SVN and pecl accounts have been approved. You can now commit your code to pecl/cubrid. Feel free to come back to us if you have any question regarding the initial import, releases or whatever else you may need to publish your ext in pecl."

I have created a New Package for CUBRID-PHP Extension.

Catalin, please upload the source files to PHP SVN. When you finish with the docs, let me know.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-07-27

Catalin,

Have you prepared PHP Documentation to upload to PECL?

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-07-27

Esen,

The PHP documentation is not ready yet (some files still need some edit), we are working on it now. I will let you know when it will be ready (probably today or tomorrow).

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-07-27

Catalin,

In fact on 6th of July you said it will be done in 2-3 days. Anyways, I have sent PHP SVN and PECL account information. Please upload the PHP Connector files to the PHP SVN and push the documentation also to the SVN. In case of the documentation you should take a look at the right location.

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-07-27

Esen,

At that moment (6th of July) we were planing to finish it in 2-3 days. But there were several items (to be done) that were waiting in queue and since we were waiting the for the creation and activation of the account the documentation task got low priority.
    We will finish it and upload it on the SVN.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks