Let's make CUBRID sites more attractive and more optimized, without spending much resource though.
I have couple of requests to Daniel. As I know he is working with the site modifications, right?
Currently Xe uses JQuery v1.3.2. Here is the link for the minified version
which has to replace the XE part. I checked there are no modifications, so it is safe to just replace and that's all.
Here are all available versions fo JQuery
2. Take a look at the page source at cubrd.org. You should see the following:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/files/cache/optimized/538d2da865159d1251a7504f0fdf9877/538d2da865159d1251a7504f0fdf9877.1283761041.css.php" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" media="all" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="/modules/editor/styles/default/style.css" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" media="all" />
Which means that User defined CSS (the first one) is overwritten by the default system CSS, which is wrong. We have to switch the order, but make sure the site is likewise consistent as now, so that styling does not go wrong.
+ We can compress CSS as well. Please do this as well.
So, Daniel, please make these optimizations.
And, could you please send me the FTP credentials as well?
Thank you in advance!
1. Indeed the jQuery basic is not minimized. I looked at the other libraries which are minimified and i presumed the core was also optimized. So il will add the minimified version instead of the current one.
2. The two CSS files do not overwrite each other as they contain different CSS classes. The second css is just 10 lines of ccs code for the editora and it is not the User defined CSS. All the css, be it user defined or not, is in the first file.
We will make these modifications, but they imply some major modifications to the XE caching system. We were thinking of porting cubrid.org to CUBRID 3.0 when is won't be beta (which should happen soon) and make a single release for these two (and probably more) updates.
We don't yet have a time frame for this, i will get back to you.
P.S.: I sent the ftp credetials to you by email.
Concerning the CSS, I have checked the CSS files and see that they do not overwrite each other. Then checked the first one if user defined CSS styles (which I manually define/rewrite in the Admin panel under Construction->Layout->About Menu/Apps&Tools Menu…) are overwritten. However, I found that they are not. When I checked last time, my CSS was at the beginning of the file while other definitions below overwrote them. Maybe you have changed them. Anyway, now it looks like working as I expect, however, I haven't checked it practically.
The other thing is if these modifications require much efforts like digging down to XE caching system, I think you do not need to do that. If you had a plan to upgrade it later, I will wait that moment. It is not very urgent.
So, for the NEXT time when you think to upgrade, you can think of compressing CSS and JS as well.
As CUBRID R3.0 has been released we are putting together the plan to "upgrade" cubrid.org .
I will give a more specific update tomorrow.
1. Have you started updating the Apps&Tools section? If not, I think the current version is more or less satisfactory. I have updated that page to display all apps, tools, and APIs (not yet everything), which looks quite fine. The only detail I omitted is the download link for each apps/tool, because I think users have to see the page itself, and learn if there is anything to pay attention. Now we have many other higher priority tasks to complete like manuals and tutorials for the ported applications. So, we need to focus on them.
2. XE upgrade is not necessary now. Less important. I also proposed moving to Joomla later on, when we have stable Joomla for CUBRID. The reason is one day, maybe next year, we want to combine both Korean and English sites into one under cubrid.org. cubrid.com will be the CUBRID Co., Ltd. company's site which provides the service around CUBRID. And Joomla has a language management component called Joomfish, which would be very convenient for us if we use Joomla 1.5 series. The Joomla 1.6 will provide basic built-in language switching system. But this is not now again, some time later.
We have to focus on content right now, Daniel, please think of it as the top priority.
There is a change in the plan. We will need to stick with XE for cubrid.org. XE team has a big plan for its CMS, so please proceed with XE upgrade investigations.
I made the links for the manual like this:
cubrid.org/manual/3.0 -> manual for stable r3.0
cubrid.org/manual/3.0b -> manual for r3.0 beta
cubrid.org/manual/2.1 -> manual for r2.1
cubrid.org/manual/ -> redirects to the latest manual (r3.0 stable)
Let me now if it's what you need.
I installed a test version of the new XE (v184.108.40.206) , you can access it here:
I will mail you the admin login user and password.
The manual locations are almost exactly what I wanted.
I wanted to make clear differentiation between manual (PDF version, or manual in Wiki) and Web manual (with built in search and index system). That's why I wanted to call:
And you can redirect the manual to the latest Web Manual. Is this fine?
The testxe.cubrid.org didn't work for me. When I entered the login credentials, an error popped up saying "Couldn't find requested module. Please contact the administrator' and a "Sign Out" button, which also does not work. It does not sign out. Remains on the same page, though the URI changes to "http://testxe.cubrid.org/?act=dispMemberLogout". Please check it.
Have a good day!
As no default layout was created you could only see the admin section. (testxe.cubrid.org/admin)
I added a default layout and added some demo content now so you can see the look and feel (testxe.cubrid.org)
I changed the redirects as follows:
cubrid.org/webmanual/3.0 -> manual for stable r3.0
cubrid.org/webmanual/3.0b -> manual for r3.0 beta
cubrid.org/webmanual/2.1 -> manual for r2.1
cubrid.org/manual/ -> redirects to the latest manual (r3.0 stable)
I have uploaded the new Web Manual to SF.net http://sourceforge.net/projects/cubrid/files/CUBRID%20Documentation/CUBRID%203.1%20Beta%20Web%20Manual.zip/download. Please upload to cubrid.org and create a redirect for www.cubrid.org/webmanual/3.1b.
The manual is now uploaded.
cubrid.org/manual now points to the latest manual.
CUBRID 3.1 Beta manual has some changes. In Web manual it is only one page. Please contact me by skype asap. I have to give that .htm file which you have to overwrite on the web manual at www.cubrid.org/webmanual/3.1b.
It is this page http://www.cubrid.org/webmanual/3.1b/syntax/csql_syntaxtype_keyword.htm which has changes.
Also, what is the cubrid.org upgrade status?
Google Codes has released a blog post about Apache module called mod_pagespeed. Here is a link http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2010/11/make-your-websites-run-faster.html. If it doesn't hurt, please enable it on new cubrid.org.
I have problems accessing http://cubrid.org.
It is possible to access the site only through www subdomain like http://www.cubrid.org.
Please make sure our site opens without www.
When do you have plans to finish cubrid.org upgrade?
Regarding accessing cubrid.org without the www domain prefix it is working now.
Regarding the cubrid.org upgrade we will try today Laura's new suggestion about how to update to the new version and also migrate the data. Hope that will work and if so in 1-2 days it will be ready.
Request to everyone!
If anyone notices any problems viewing the pages on cubrid.org, please post your issues here. I have tested cubrid.org pages against the major set of browsers like IE7+, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Firefox. Particular low versions haven't been tested against due to the low ration of usage. However, if you still use some old browser and encounter issues, anyway, let me know. I will try to fix styling.
When you post your issue, please indicate the following items:
1) Browser AND its version
2) OS and version
Log in to post a comment.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.