Cubrid.org site optimizations

2010-09-08
2013-06-05
  • Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-09-08

Hello everyone,

Let's make CUBRID sites more attractive and more optimized, without spending much resource though.

I have couple of requests to Daniel. As I know he is working with the site modifications, right?

1. cubrid.org XE uses JQuery Javascript Framework, but does not include the "minimized" (optimzied) version. If you look at the http://www.cubrid.org/files/cache/optimized/05f8a38a98cc608d7f19765881b89b22/05f8a38a98cc608d7f19765881b89b22.1271074868.js.php URL that is generated by XE under the hood, you will see a huge file with 212,924 bytes. Half of it is JQuery, the rest is XE's own script. So, both of them can be optimized. We could say about 70 Kb on the JS compression only.

Currently Xe uses JQuery v1.3.2. Here is the link for the minified version
    http://code.google.com/p/jqueryjs/downloads/detail?name=jquery-1.3.2.min.js,
    which has to replace the XE part. I checked there are no modifications, so it is safe to just replace and that's all.

Here are all available versions fo JQuery
    http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_jQuery

We can manually compress XE part of the JavaScript 30Kb as well.

2. Take a look at the page source at cubrd.org. You should see the following:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/files/cache/optimized/538d2da865159d1251a7504f0fdf9877/538d2da865159d1251a7504f0fdf9877.1283761041.css.php" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" media="all" />
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="/modules/editor/styles/default/style.css" type="text/css" charset="UTF-8" media="all" />

Which means that User defined CSS (the first one) is overwritten by the default system CSS, which is wrong. We have to switch the order, but make sure the site is likewise consistent as now, so that styling does not go wrong.

+ We can compress CSS as well. Please do this as well.

So, Daniel, please make these optimizations.

And, could you please send me the FTP credentials as well?

Thank you in advance!

Esen.

• Daniel Ionescu

Daniel Ionescu - 2010-09-09

Dear Esen,

1. Indeed the jQuery basic is not minimized. I looked at the other libraries which are minimified and i presumed the core was also optimized. So il will add the minimified version instead of the current one.

Loadtime was never really an issue because current loadtime (2sec) is very good so we did not feel the need to gzip and minimify the javascript.

2. The two CSS files do not overwrite each other as they contain different CSS classes. The second css is just 10 lines of ccs code for the editora and it is not the User defined CSS. All the css, be it user defined or not, is in the first file.

We will make these modifications, but they imply some major modifications to the XE caching system. We were thinking of porting cubrid.org to CUBRID 3.0 when is won't be beta (which should happen soon) and make a single release for these two (and probably more) updates.

We don't yet have a time frame for this, i will get back to you.

Best regards,
    Daniel.

P.S.: I sent the ftp credetials to you by email.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-09-13

Concerning the CSS, I have checked the CSS files and see that they do not overwrite each other. Then checked the first one if user defined CSS styles (which I manually define/rewrite in the Admin panel under Construction->Layout->About Menu/Apps&Tools Menu…) are overwritten. However, I found that they are not. When I checked last time, my CSS was at the beginning of the file while other definitions below overwrote them. Maybe you have changed them. Anyway, now it looks like working as I expect, however, I haven't checked it practically.

The other thing is if these modifications require much efforts like digging down to XE caching system, I think you do not need to do that. If you had a plan to upgrade it later, I will wait that moment. It is not very urgent.

So, for the NEXT time when you think to upgrade, you can think of compressing CSS and JS as well.

Thank you!

Esen.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Dear Esen,

As CUBRID R3.0 has been released we are putting together the plan to "upgrade" cubrid.org .
    The upgrade will contain an update of the Apps&Tools section together with some SEO improvements regarding gzipping of files, javascript and css minification. I am also thinking about upgrading to the latest XE v1.4.4.1 but i need to investigate thoroughly what the new versions brings.

I will give a more specific update tomorrow.

Best regards,
    Daniel.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-10-06

Hello Daniel,

1. Have you started updating the Apps&Tools section? If not, I think the current version is more or less satisfactory. I have updated that page to display all apps, tools, and APIs (not yet everything), which looks quite fine. The only detail I omitted is the download link for each apps/tool, because I think users have to see the page itself, and learn if there is anything to pay attention. Now we have many other higher priority tasks to complete like manuals and tutorials for the ported applications. So, we need to focus on them.

2. XE upgrade is not necessary now. Less important. I also proposed moving to Joomla later on, when we have stable Joomla for CUBRID. The reason is one day, maybe next year, we want to combine both Korean and English sites into one under cubrid.org. cubrid.com will be the CUBRID Co., Ltd. company's site which provides the service around CUBRID. And Joomla has a language management component called Joomfish, which would be very convenient for us if we use Joomla 1.5 series. The Joomla 1.6 will provide basic built-in language switching system. But this is not now again, some time later.

We have to focus on content right now, Daniel, please think of it as the top priority.

Thank you!

Esen.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-10-06

Hi Daniel,

There is a change in the plan. We will need to stick with XE for cubrid.org. XE team has a big plan for its CMS, so please proceed with XE upgrade investigations.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Dear Esen,

I made the links for the manual like this:
    cubrid.org/manual/3.0 -> manual for stable r3.0
    cubrid.org/manual/3.0b -> manual for r3.0 beta
    cubrid.org/manual/2.1 -> manual for r2.1
    cubrid.org/manual/ -> redirects to the latest manual (r3.0 stable)

Let me now if it's what you need.

Best regards,
    Daniel.

• Daniel Ionescu

Daniel Ionescu - 2010-10-06

Dear Esen,

I installed a test version of the new XE (v1.4.4.1) , you can access it here:
    http://testxe.cubrid.org

I will mail you the admin login user and  password.

Best regards,
    Daniel.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-10-07

Hello Daniel,

The manual locations are almost exactly what I wanted.

I wanted to make clear differentiation between manual (PDF version, or manual in Wiki) and Web manual (with built in search and index system). That's why I wanted to call:

cubrid.org/webmanuals/3.0
    cubrid.org/webmanuals/3.0b
    cubrid.org/webmanuals/2.1

And you can redirect the manual to the latest Web Manual. Is this fine?

The testxe.cubrid.org didn't work for me. When I entered the login credentials, an error popped up saying "Couldn't find requested module. Please contact the administrator' and a "Sign Out" button, which also does not work. It does not sign out. Remains on the same page, though the URI changes to "http://testxe.cubrid.org/?act=dispMemberLogout". Please check it.

Have a good day!

Esen.

• Daniel Ionescu

Daniel Ionescu - 2010-10-07

Dear Esen,

As no default layout was created you could only see the admin section. (testxe.cubrid.org/admin)
    I added a default layout and added some demo content now so you can see the look and feel (testxe.cubrid.org)

Best regards,
    Daniel.

• Daniel Ionescu

Daniel Ionescu - 2010-10-07

Dear Esen,

I changed the redirects as follows:
    cubrid.org/webmanual/3.0 -> manual for stable r3.0
    cubrid.org/webmanual/3.0b -> manual for r3.0 beta
    cubrid.org/webmanual/2.1 -> manual for r2.1
    cubrid.org/manual/ -> redirects to the latest manual (r3.0 stable)

Best regards,
    Daniel.

• Daniel Ionescu

Daniel Ionescu - 2010-11-01

Dear Esen,

The manual is now uploaded.
    cubrid.org/manual now points to the latest manual.

Best regards,
    Daniel.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-11-04

Hey guys,

I have problems accessing http://cubrid.org.

It is possible to access the site only through www subdomain like http://www.cubrid.org.

Please make sure our site opens without www.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-11-05

When do you have plans to finish cubrid.org upgrade?

• Catalin Ciobanu

Catalin Ciobanu - 2010-11-05

Regarding accessing cubrid.org without the www domain prefix it is working now.

Regarding the cubrid.org upgrade we will try today Laura's new suggestion about how to update to the new version and also migrate the data. Hope that will work and if so in 1-2 days it will be ready.

• Esen Sagynov

Esen Sagynov - 2010-11-09

Request to everyone!

If anyone notices any problems viewing the pages on cubrid.org, please post your issues here. I have tested cubrid.org pages against the major set of browsers like IE7+, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Firefox. Particular low versions haven't been tested against due to the low ration of usage. However, if you still use some old browser and encounter issues, anyway, let me know. I will try to fix styling.

When you post your issue, please indicate the following items:

1) Browser AND its version
    2) OS and version
    3) URL

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks