"ctorrent -n" and file-creation

Help
2012-05-10
2013-04-16
  • Klaus Brinkmann

Klaus Brinkmann - 2012-05-10

First of all: Thanks for ctorrent. It's a nice tool.

I've been experimenting with -n option of ctorrent and noticed that although I only specified  a certain number of files, all directories and files listed within the torrent-file are being created. As an example: I got the legal to share torrent  of  "Doom: The Dark Side of Phobos" from http://ocremix.org/torrents/ which contains mp3s, flacs, covers and a few more files like .txt.
    Since i only wanted to download the mp3s, I browsed the output of "ctorrent -x <torrentfile>" and specified the related filenumbers in a commandline like "ctorrent -n 31-53 ~lomaxx/downloads/The_Dark_Side_of_Phobos.torrent". 
    The result was that these specified files have been downloaded completely while all other files have been initially created, but not completely downloaded. Still they "littered" the directories and took up some space.

Is this behaviour normal and maybe required due to technical reasons of the torrent-mechanism? Can this be somehow disabled with some options? I couldn't find one. Or is it maybe even possible to modify the source-code that these "unwanted" files are not being created when using the "-n"-option? If so, then take this as a proposal. ;)

• Klaus Brinkmann

Klaus Brinkmann - 2012-05-10

btw, i'm running  ctorrent-3.3.2-r1from gentoo-portage-tree.

• dwpbike

dwpbike - 2012-05-10

i occasionally see the same thing in transmission when i download parts of a posting.  amount of overlap is minor, but irritating.  i'm guessing that the "chunks" (256 bytes?) created by the torrent sometime overlap file boundaries.  back in the olden days, if a job was printing and you aborted, it ended on segment boundary, which wasn't always the end of a page. 

• Klaus Brinkmann

Klaus Brinkmann - 2012-05-12

Here's an example of the result from a download where i only specified the mp3s:

# du -caH *
    0       Artwork/Archer .png
    0       Artwork/Rogue .png
    0       Artwork/Website .jpg
    0       Artwork/Protector .png
    0       Artwork/Front .png
    0       Artwork/Front embed.png
    0       Artwork/Back .png
    4       Artwork
    0       Directors' and Artists' comments.txt
    0       FLAC/04 Weeping Willow (Willow - Villages - Dialog) .flac
    0       FLAC/12 Hopes Fall to Water (Breath of Fire II - Crooked Ladder) .flac
    116     FLAC/05 This Winding Road (Faxanadu - Guru's House) .flac
    0       FLAC/01 Heroes Unsung (7th Saga - Port Town) .flac
    0       FLAC/03 Shimmering (SaGa Frontier 2 - Rosenkranz) .flac
    0       FLAC/08 Autumn Painter (Luminous Arc - Prelude) .flac
    0       FLAC/14 Shato Through the Heart (Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 3 - Shadow) .flac
    0       FLAC/10 Stockholm (Bahamut Lagoon - Jojo and God Dragons - Jojo's Theme) .flac
    0       FLAC/11 The Village of Decay for String Quartet (Ghouls'n Ghosts - 2nd BGM) .flac
    0       FLAC/15 Hymn of the Eternal Empire (Suikoden - Eternal Empire) .flac
    0       FLAC/06 Family Legacy (Legacy of the Wizard - Inn & House Theme) .flac
    0       FLAC/13 Hero of Celceta (Ys IV - Dawn of Ys - Bronze District) .flac
    0       FLAC/07 Silent Traveller (Lufia & The Fortress of Doom - Field Motif) .flac
    0       FLAC/09 One Ring (Lord of the Rings - Volume 1 - The Shire) .flac
    0       FLAC/02 Somber Memory (Secret of Evermore - The Queens) .flac
    120     FLAC
    6140    MP3/02 Somber Memory (Secret of Evermore - The Queens) .mp3
    7556    MP3/03 Shimmering (SaGa Frontier 2 - Rosenkranz) .mp3
    9616    MP3/13 Hero of Celceta (Ys IV - Dawn of Ys - Bronze District) .mp3
    8164    MP3/09 One Ring (Lord of the Rings - Volume 1 - The Shire) .mp3
    8036    MP3/08 Autumn Painter (Luminous Arc - Prelude) .mp3
    9880    MP3/10 Stockholm (Bahamut Lagoon - Jojo and God Dragons - Jojo's Theme) .mp3
    8704    MP3/07 Silent Traveller (Lufia & The Fortress of Doom - Field Motif) .mp3
    6904    MP3/01 Heroes Unsung (7th Saga - Port Town) .mp3
    5692    MP3/05 This Winding Road (Faxanadu - Guru's House) .mp3
    7340    MP3/06 Family Legacy (Legacy of the Wizard - Inn & House Theme) .mp3
    7476    MP3/11 The Village of Decay for String Quartet (Ghouls'n Ghosts - 2nd BGM) .mp3
    11184   MP3/04 Weeping Willow (Willow - Villages - Dialog) .mp3
    8988    MP3/12 Hopes Fall to Water (Breath of Fire II - Crooked Ladder) .mp3
    5672    MP3/14 Shato Through the Heart (Shin Megami Tensei - Persona 3 - Shadow) .mp3
    6352    MP3/15 Hymn of the Eternal Empire (Suikoden - Eternal Empire) .mp3
    117708  MP3
    0       Read Me.txt
    1012    Unsung Heroes (Trailer) .mp4
    0       Unsung Heroes.url
    0       flac-1.2.1b.exe
    118844  total

Something else related: It would be nice to have an option, where you can specify that you only want to seed (the files that you downloaded) and not to download anything more. I can of course do this by specifying the same -n-parameter that i used the first time, but in a case where i decide to seed the files some time later, I might not remember that parameter anymore and have to compare my download with the output of -x to find the parameter once again. That's a bit uncomfortable.
    Specifying a download-limit of "0" ( -D 0) does not seem to help as that means "no limit".