Add --run-filter switch

2011-08-04
2013-05-29
  • Jarek Czekalski

Jarek Czekalski - 2011-08-04

Doxygen is designed to parse c and java source code. If one wants to support custom language, he writes a filter. He turns the filter on by configuring an option like: FILTER=my_filtering_app. This filtering app is run before the input is processed, and the output of the filter is processed instead of the original file.

If one wants to implement pascal in this way he replaces "begin" with "{" and so on. He may use sed to do this job. This way looks very easy for me.

Is it possible we add such a switch to ctags?

Of course there are workaround and I can run:

my_filter_app my_file | ctags -filter=yes >tags

but it's harder to insert such behaviour into an editor (like jEdit) which asks only for "ctags parameters". I can workaround the issue by providing a path to another script file that will actually run ctags with a filter, but it gets complicated if I want to use support different languages and some of them could run the original ctags without filtering.

• Anonymous - 2012-07-09

it gets complicated if I want to use support different languages and some of them could run the original ctags without filtering

By using the ctags language extension options it's fairly easy to add a new language by using the configuration file:

http://www.zeusedit.com/zforum/viewtopic.php?t=3367

• Jarek Czekalski

Jarek Czekalski - 2012-07-21

Yes, I read the ctags documentation and I know that regex can be used to define a new language. But I think regexes are not capable of handling class members (with parent info) and nested classes.

There is also a patch (#3413344) implementing this functionality. I've been using this patch for 10 months and I am satisfied with the results.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks