Right Click

Help
2003-08-01
2013-04-30
  • Peter Royal

Peter Royal - 2003-08-01

How does one emulate a right mouse button click on target machines? Control-click doesn't seem to do it.

• Jason Harris

Jason Harris - 2003-08-06

Check out the section of the Chicken of the VNC help file (which is titled "About Chicken of the VNC") called "Mouse Button Emulation".

For the lazy, here it is:

"If you are one of those cursed with a single button mouse, you can emulate the right button by quickly tapping the <Shift> key.  The mouse pointer will change to indicate that clicks will act like the third (right) mouse button.  Likewise, you can emulate the middle button by quickly tapping the <Control> key.  To cancel emulation, tap the key a second time.

If you are lucky enough to have a two or three button mouse, you don't need to worry about emulation as Chicken of the VNC supports up to three mouse buttons, as well as scroll-wheels on compatible servers."

• Matt Dittrich

Matt Dittrich - 2003-12-11

Would it be possible in a future release to make Chicken work more like Apple's X11 in this regard?  i.e., Ctrl-click = right button; Opt-click = middle button.  And I'm sure some folks would like to be able to choose (via preferences) their own modifier keys....

• Z.C.Biggs

Z.C.Biggs - 2004-01-06

One button mice....  (shudder)

• Wolfkin

Wolfkin - 2005-03-21

thanks for the assistance in the matter. I tried to glean the knowledge from the preferences but it wasn't clear. Nothing wrong with one button mice people. it's perfectly natural. Besides a laptop like my iBook is technically a one button mouse and we can't always be taking out our pocket USB mice all the time. Sometimes it's just easier to go to.