Menu

far manager wierdness

Ken Allen
2004-06-07
2013-06-12
  • Ken Allen

Ken Allen - 2004-06-07

It seems that the far manager resets the screen buffer height when it runs, disabling the scrollbar. Edit does this too, but far doesn't set it back when it's done. Reloading settings doesn't bring it back, or reset the screen buffer height. In addition, after far has screwed things up, if I run edit and then quit, it doesn't reset the buffer either. Is there anyway you can make it so the screen buffer height and scrollbar are reset when you reload settings? As it is the only way to fix things is to quit and restart console. I'll take this up with the far people too.

It's really too bad, because far+4nt+console=kick ass environment.

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2004-06-07

Can you send me the Far link?

Console can't handle resizing very well, and if a program does funky things to console size, stuff might not work...

• Ken Allen

Ken Allen - 2004-06-10

You can get it at farmanager.com. For now, I realized that since I'll be using it a lot, I just made a config file set up for it and a new shortcut to console to handle it.

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2004-06-11

Far does kill buffer rows, even when using it from a regular Win console. Some programs (like DOS RAR) are nice enough to remember the previous settings and return them when they exit. I  think you should ask  the developers to fix this.

BTW, reloading settings after I exit Far works for me...

• Rob Davenport

Rob Davenport - 2004-08-30

Ken,

Thanks for the link - far looks like a useful program.
      Have you seen there's a 1.70a6 available?
      <http://www.farmanager.com/updates.asp>
      Just wondering if that changes the behavior you see - it doesn't seem to change the screen dimensions (though it doesn't replace the screen contents) after quitting.

• Ken Allen

Ken Allen - 2004-10-10

I stumbled across yet another fantastically usefull  console program. I'm getting good at this, you should see my bin directory :p.

Anyway, it's a program that saves and restores the contents of the screen buffer. It even remembers the dimensions and restores them.

Combined with a batch file to save command history, environment variables, and aliases in 4nt, you can basically save and restore and entire session. It could be useful for projects and stuff.

ftp://barnyard.syr.edu/pub/vefatica/srcsb.exe

The author says he's got a prototype that compresses the image, which can be quite large if your buffer is real long.

• Rob Davenport

Rob Davenport - 2004-10-12

Thanks Ken - that srcsb sounds cool!  I'll check it out.