How to Differentiate Bet Insert & Overwrite?

M.Y.
2009-05-27
2013-06-12
  • M.Y.

M.Y. - 2009-05-27

Thanks for this great software.

Is there a way to differentiate between insert and overwrite mode (e.g., use a different cursor when the mode changed, from insert to overwrite and vice versa)?

• M.Y.

M.Y. - 2009-06-02

Let me rephrase my question. Is it possible to have different cursors for Insert and Overwrite mode?

• M.Y.

M.Y. - 2009-06-11

Too bad. Look like I am the only one having this problem. Can Marko please shed some light on this subject?

• Kirill

Kirill - 2009-06-11

Hi M.Y.,

You're not the only one with this problem, however there is nothing Console can do. As repeated multiple times (and as written in Comments to Console.exe):

Tabbed cool console window (THIS IS NOT A SHELL :-)

What it means is that Console does precisely two things: screen-scraping of a console app and keyboard pass-through to the console app. As you can imagine, neither of these two activities can report whether the console app is in insert or overwrite mode.

I do understand that some apps indicate the mode with a different cursor, however, AFAICS there is no way to retrieve that information.

So, the only suggested workaround [provided that your app indicates the mode with a different cursor] is to show the console window (View -> Console Window).

Sorry to bring in bad news, but, please, don't kill the messenger.

--
      Kirill.

• M.Y.

M.Y. - 2009-06-11

Hi Kirill, thanks for the info.