Menu

Console Unicode build - who wants to try?

2003-10-20
2003-11-19
  • Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2003-10-20

Hi!

I have converted Console to use Unicode strings, and I need people to test them on localized Windows (Frecnsh, Chinese, etc) I have tried it with Croatian characters, and it seems to be working.

Mail me directly, and I'll send you the new exe with directions...

• Daniel Soto

Daniel Soto - 2003-10-20

Hi Bozho,

This perhaps fix all problems with wrong characters. ;-) Very good!

I think, it's better that you upload a patch file (made with diff) in the patches section. When you do, I try to compile and test in my Spanish locale version of Windows.

Regards!

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2003-10-21

I have uploaded a zipped exe to Patches section, so that people without compilers can try it also...

• Daniel Soto

Daniel Soto - 2003-10-21

Hi Bozho,

OK, with a Spanish version!
          All localized charters are working.

Nevertheless, a little problem persists: you can't type "dead keys" (like <>+<a> for "").

Great work!! ;-)

Remark: Are you thinking in include a previous patch for <CRTL>+<P> completation?

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2003-10-21

On dead keys: I don't know what handles them. Does Win console replace entered characters? Can you use this combination in any Windows app?

On pull-word: I'll have to review the code first before I make a decision... I'll try to do it as soon as possible...  If I decide to include it, I'll have to see how to integrate it with the code (from the description it shouldn't be too complicated) and add some configuration options (like on/of, key combo, etc)

• Daniel Soto

Daniel Soto - 2003-10-22

Hi Bozho,

For dead keys if you show the command and type dead keys inside it, they are corrected inserted in Console. The problem is when you try to hit a dead key: the sign is typed twice.

An exemple:

In Command: hit <> and hit <a> equals "".
              In Console: hit <> and equals "".

Try you installing a spanish or other mapping of the keyboard!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-11-06

Cyrillic input doesn't work (just writes everything in latin)

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2003-11-06

Does your Win console support Cyrilic input?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-11-13

yep, it supports cyrillic input

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2003-11-13

Ok, I think I've tracked down the problem. Start Console and unhide Win console. By default, the Win console uses the Raster Font that doesn't have international characters. 

Open Win console properties and on the Fonts tab change the font to Lucida Console. Click OK and on the next small dialog select "Save properties for future windows with the same title" This will make Win console windows started by Console use Lucida Console font that has international characters.

There is another problem if you use (like me) English keyboard as default and switch to local keyboard as needed. Console and Win console run in separate processes. If you change keyboard layout for Console, it will not change it for Win console. Insetad, it is necessary to unhide the Win console and change *its* keyboard layout. I'll see what can be done about this...

• Marko Bozikovic

Ooops.. The middle paragraph is not true. This will not work, since Console first create a Win console with a unique name, and then changes it to "Console command window". Bummer.

• Marko Bozikovic

This *does* work, after all... So, the original answer is correct, please try it out.

I must get some rest :-) I've been working too hard...

• Anton Khalikov

Anton Khalikov - 2003-11-18

Hi bozho !

How can I get the Unicode version of your Console ? I use Cyrillic charset too.

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2003-11-19

Go to 'Pathes' section, there's a Unicode build .exe. Just copy that exe to your Console dir.

I'll be releasing a new dev build soon with the unicode build...

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2003-11-19

*Patches* section.
          I gotta get me a new keyboard :)

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-11-18

"Console and Win console run in separate processes. If you change keyboard layout for Console, it will not change it for Win console."
      Yeah, the problem is here :)