putty

2006-07-10
2013-06-12
  • kenny_powers

kenny_powers - 2006-07-10

can console be used with putty ? I saw a prev thread claiming it might be possible but I tried and didn't find out how. I'm not running cygwin and not a top expert obviously ;)

thanks

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2006-07-11

Putty is a GUI application, but Plink is a command-line putty (you can find it on Putty page)

• CCRDude

CCRDude - 2006-07-19

This would be my second qeuestion here, nice that there's already a question ;)

I was looking for the same and added plink.exe <putty-profile-name> to Console. Connects and everything, but there are two problems:
        1. Console seems to display instead of "use" some control chars, my typical prompt looks like:

<i>(arrow-left-symbol)]0;username@hostname:~[username@hostname ~]#</i>

which in PuTTY itself would be just <i>[username@hostname ~]#</i>. I guess the arrow-left plus square bracket plus 00 is some kind of control code (I remember ANSI codes looked quite similar?). This happens both with a RedHat and Debian hosts standards shell.

2. It can't really deal with UTF-8 (which PuTTY itself does handle well) - special characters are displayed as two.

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2006-07-19

I suppose this is a plink issue.

In general, when you see something strange in Console, the first thing you want to do is unhide the console window (View->Console window) If the Windows console shows the same weirdness, it's not a Console issue.

• CCRDude

CCRDude - 2006-07-20

Hmmm I'm sorry, you're right! utf-8 seems to be on their list, and regarding the control characters:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/plink-terminal.html

They don't even want proper handling of those in their wish list.

So I guess for SSH through PuTTY+plink, I would now need another console application that would be kind of a terminal console, and run that with plink through Console? I just tried 4NT, which isn't working either, but will continue to search.

BTW: I remember when I tried to write my own tabbed console app, I simply used SetParent+SetWindowRect to get GUI windows into my tabs. The problem back then was that command line windows are not quite like normal GUI windows, which worked fine. Have you thought about allowing any windows inside your tabs (would need advanced configuration with Window title and/or Window class name though)? That would allow to run ("hijack") the normal putty window inside on of your tabs ;)

• 548C

548C - 2007-04-20

I too wanted putty + console2 to work, but currently it's not possible. So I looked for an alternative and found Windows OpenSSH at http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ . I don't know how good the UTF-8 support is in this OpenSSH port, but colors work - something I've never seen with other cmd.exe ssh clients! You can set ssh.exe as the shell (and use command line parameters as well) and it just... works! Very, very cool indeed!

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2007-04-20

As I have said previously, putty cannot work inside Console, since putty is not a console application. It's a GUI application, it just looks like console application :)

• Brian

Brian - 2007-04-20

I think Console is a great app, but you must use any application for its intended purpose.  A shell that will allow you to use ssh, such as putty or cygwin, must also provide terminal emulation.  That is stuff like handling the escape codes (handling arrow keys, color codes, and various other things) that someone posted about.  That is a much different task than providing the nice interface to cmd that console provides.

• Marko Bozikovic

I don't understand your comment... Are you commenting on putty or Console? :)

• Brian

Brian - 2007-04-20

My comment means that people looking for an ssh client should use an ssh client.  Console is a wonderful application which makes using cmd.exe much more bearable for those of us used to using something like putty or rxvt (in the sense that it's much nicer looking than the cmd.exe shell, and has other nice features). 

However, a terminal emulator is a much different type of application, and frankly has been implemented very well in other applications like cygwin(rxvt) and putty.

Overall I think Console meets a very different need.  I think people are getting confused because they think that ssh is "command line", and it should just "work" inside console, when in reality ssh requires more than just a "command line" (it needs terminal emulation, for starters).

I could be wrong though.

• Marko Bozikovic

Right you are :-)

It seems to me that mostly people with *nix background don't understand how different 'terminal' handling in Windows is (and how far Windows console is from *nix terminal :-)

• Joel 'Jaykul' Bennett

There's hope: rumor is that the next release of PowerShell may include a vastly improved shell window ...

• Charles Calvert

Charles Calvert - 2011-07-03

I know that this is a few years later, but if anyone finds this thread is is looking for an answer, check out PuTTY Connection Manager.  It's like Console for PuTTY.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks