ANSI compatibility in Windows XP

Turner
2009-03-23
2013-06-12
  • Turner

Turner - 2009-03-23

...is nonexistant. And its not built into Console. (Of course I mean ANSI escape codes for color and cursor movement)

However! This app can add support to the running or spawned command interpreter, or you can just pipe your ANSI apps into it.

http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/ansicon/index.html

But I'd REALLY like to see this built into Console.

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2009-03-23

Console is not a shell. It simply shows what Windows console shows. It neither intercepts nor interprets console apps output.

This is something your shell should support (e.g. Cygwin bash), or an app like the one you suggest.

Cheers,
      Marko

• Turner

Turner - 2009-03-23

It does accept the text output from the command processor though, this is what allows you to change the fonts. This same pass could perform the ANSI conversion. I'm not saying it would be trivial, but it could be done.

On a related topic of shell-interaction, does Console have a "mark" mode like cmd.exe does?

• Marko Bozikovic

Marko Bozikovic - 2009-03-23

Console doesn't capture text output from console apps in a way that *nix terminal emulators do.

It runs a hidden Windows console for each tab and simply captures its (already processed) output - text *and* colors.

You can select text in Console, but currently only text-editor-like selection has been implemented (not Windows console's block select)

Cheers,
          Marko

• Turner

Turner - 2009-03-23

I was aware of the implementation details (I posted here before Console2 was released). But perhaps not how text is captured. If you can change the apparent font and forground/background colors in the configuration options (which do not change the Win32.console colors) it seems there would be more control over the output. I'm trying to argue the point really, I should probably just look at the code to get a better idea.

Shame about the selection code, I find myself needing to display the Win32.console to enable "mark" mode to copy text often.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks