WriteStr - ComPort bug or my bug?

2011-09-04
2013-04-30
  • Floyd Bloke

Floyd Bloke - 2011-09-04

I’m stuck in the dark ages with BCB6 and trying to use the ComPort library.  I have successfully managed to install the packages into the VCL, and circumvented the documented bugs.

In my app I can successfully tie the ComPort component to a serial port and open a connection, but when I try to send an exception is thrown, my code contains the following:

int my_int=0;
    AnsiString my_str;

And a button click event handler with:

my_str = IntToStr(my_int);
    ComPort1->WriteStr(my_str);
    my_int++;

This runs through fine on the first iteration but crashes the next time around.
    Adding a watch and stepping through my code, I note that this line:

ComPort1->WriteStr(my_str)

;
    changes the value of my_str.

I can’t figure out why it would do this.  Is it a bug in the ComPort library, or sloppy coding on my behalf?  All suggestions welcome.

• Floyd Bloke

Floyd Bloke - 2011-09-04

OK doing some further digging, I checked the bug-tracker (apologies, should have done this sooner, I'm very much a part-time hobby-ist programmer trying to find my way around sourceforge) and came across 3300369 .

Is this somehow related to the problems I'm experiencing.  The bug report  also suggests a workaround but my programming expertise is way too rudimentary for me to convert it into code, so again, any help is appreciated.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks