Delphi 2010 can't RECEIVE 128 (x80) fro...

Ian C
2011-11-15
2013-04-30
  • Ian C

Ian C - 2011-11-15

Using D2010 and Comport 4.11

If the received data packet contains a 128 ($80) then that byte is translated to $AC for some reason. You never get to see 128s in the input data stream.
    NOTE: This only happens if reading a 'string'.

comport.read(… ) works OK because buff is untyped.
    comport.readstr(…) translates all occurrences of $80 to $AC.

Sadly, DataPacket events all use string type parameters.  If I want to use datapackets then I'm stuck with strings. Either way, the 128s in the input data stream shouldn't get messed with.

Ideas?

• Brian Gochnauer

Brian Gochnauer - 2011-11-16

Make sure you use 8 data bits to send and receive.

128 decimal is hex 80 or binary 1000 0000
    Since 128 is the eighth bit  if you use 7 data bit settings you will not receive anything, but null (zero)

• Ian C

Ian C - 2011-11-17

Thanks for your response Brian. I appreciate it.

I already am using 8 data bits.  In my post above I noted that it works correctly if I do an untyped Comport.Read( buff … ).  The problem arises when I use the ReadStr method.  For some reason, with ReadStr, every 80h in the inbound data stream gets replaced with a ACh.

For example (in hex):

Inbound data:  FE FE 64 E0 34 51 80 66 37 FD
    ReadStr data:  FE FE 64 E0 34 51 AC 66 37 FD  <-- corrupt data (ACh should be 80h)
    Read data: FE FE 64 E0 34 51 80 66 37 FD  <-- correct data

Hopefully I have been a little clearer now.

(BTW, it would be nice if DataPackets weren't so "String" centric and also supported untyped data)

• Brian Gochnauer

Brian Gochnauer - 2011-11-17

Is there a difference in results if you use ReadUnicodeString instead of ReadStr ?

• Ian C

Ian C - 2011-11-17

Bingo!  I found the problem.  It's in line 1929 of CPort.pas -->   str := String(Sa);

Casting an ansiString into a String (strings are WideStrings in D2010) is the problem.  See sample code…

procedure StringProblem;
    var
      sa: ansiString;
      s1: String;
    begin

sa := ansistring(ansiChar($80));
         showmessage( IntToHex( byte(sa), 2 ) );   // sa is $80 as expected

s1 := string(sa);                            // now cast to string - line 1929

showmessage( IntToHex( byte(s1), 2 ) );   // after casting, it becomes $AC - should still be $80

end;

• Brian Gochnauer

i did some testing and put a cport.pas file at the previous link.
    It looks something like
              for i := 0 to length(sa) do str_ := char(byte(sa));
    seems to work_

• Brian Gochnauer

for i := 0 to length(sa) do str[i] := char(byte(sa[i]));

• Brian Gochnauer

can't post without screwing up the REAL code

for i := 0 to length(sa) do str_ := char(byte(sa));_

• Ian C

Ian C - 2011-11-17

The first Cport.pas file that you sent didn't work.  I think I see where you were going though.

However it turns out that   sWide := UTF8Decode( ansiToUTF8( sAnsi ) yields the same result as  sWide := string( sansi ) for 80h.

I haven't looked at your second file yet, but didn't you mean:

for i := 1 to length(sa) do str := str + char( byte(sa_) );

I'll check.
    _

• Ian C

Ian C - 2011-11-17

ignore my comment about your code loop above (for i := …).  I see that the 'square brackets' got removed in posting.

• Ian C

Ian C - 2011-11-17

Ok, the last file that you sent me seems to work OK.  Make sure that you start 'i' at 1 however (for i := 1 to length(sa) do…).  Note: I haven't checked to see if DataPackets work with this change for 80h

There's also a rogue semicolon in the method just above it. (ReadStrAsync)  It's obvious.

Thanks Brian.
    BTW, I'm new with SourceForge.  How will I know when the release containing this fix becomes available?

Ian

• Ian C

Ian C - 2011-11-17

Update…  I just tested and confirmed that DataPackets don't work and need the same change.   TComDataPacket.RxBuff procedure requires the same fix.  See -->   Str := String(sa);   somewhere around line 3260.

Ian

• Brian Gochnauer

thanks.
    I sent up a new file, I'll update soon.

• Stephen Gaunt

Stephen Gaunt - 2013-01-29

Just to add I was having the same problem, values greater than $7F  did not convert correctly. Something to do with Unicode, as $80 is not a valid Unicode value, trying with higher (valid) Unicode values and it is OK, but several values wont work not just $80.
    Anyway I replaced CPort.pas  with the latest version recompiled the component and now its OK!
    Cheers Brian

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks