Multiples problems with 4.11

S. Michel
2011-07-05
2013-04-30
  • S. Michel
    S. Michel
    2011-07-05

Hi, I just want to say I love this component and that's why I want to report a few things.

* In CHANGELOG.txt why is there nothing past 3.1?

* In README.txt the name of the files for D2010 are missing even if they are in source folder, right now:
    Delphi 2009 DsgnCPortD2009.dpk CPortLibD2009.dpk
    Delphi XE DsgnCPortDXE.dpk CPortLibDXE.dpk

* In CPortAbout.pas the version is incorrect:
      CPortLibraryVersion = '3.0';

* In CPortEsc.pas there is a typo for character, it says: Charachter

* Warnings when I'm compiling with C++Builder 2010 with tchar map to wchar_t:
    CPortEsc.pas(432): W1050 WideChar reduced to byte char in set expressions.  Consider using 'CharInSet' function in 'SysUtils' unit.
    CPortCtl.pas(2577): W1057 Implicit string cast from 'AnsiString' to 'string'
    CPort.pas(1314): W1002 Symbol 'Win32Check' is specific to a platform
    CPortEsc.pas(432): W1050 WideChar reduced to byte char in set expressions.  Consider using 'CharInSet' function in 'SysUtils' unit.
    CPortCtl.pas(2577): W1057 Implicit string cast from 'AnsiString' to 'string'
    CPort.pas(1314): W1002 Symbol 'Win32Check' is specific to a platform

Finally, it seems the files in the zip file (Comport4.11a.zip) are not the same as the one on svn, is there a member of the project working with local copy? It would be a good thing to put the latest files available on subversion (if possible). A tags folder would be nice for releases.

Thanks

• Anonymous
    2011-07-06

These are good points. If you want to fix them, I'll add you to the subversion repository, and you can fix them.

Warren

• Warren
    Warren
    2011-07-06

Looks like Brian already updated the version constant.  I tweaked the svn CHANGELOG in the comport410 branch.

Warren

• Warren
    Warren
    2011-07-06

TO grab latest SVN of this code, with the version constant fixed:

svn co https://comport.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/comport/trunk/comportlib/comport410  comport410

• I believe it is all fixed up now including svn and is default download;  Comport411b.zip

• S. Michel
    S. Michel
    2011-07-07

Good news :)

Just a small thing, is there a reason why are you using lower case to start variable name just for that place:
    property character: Char read Fcharacter;

If you follow the "Object Pascal Style Guide" it says:

the first letter should be a capital

source: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/10280#3.0

In svn (https://comport.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/comport) all those folders / files should be deleted, for some a repository has been committed into the repository:
    * conf
    * db
    * hooks
    * locks
    * README.txt
    * format

Those folder should be added if you really want to work with a subversion structure:
    * tags
    * branches

Tags are typically used to create a static snapshot of the project at a particular stage. As such they not normally used for development - that's what branches are for, which is the reason we recommended the /trunk /branches /tags repository structure in the first place.

source: http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-branchtag.html

Thank you for your quick work (Warren and Brian)

• Neil Tarazona
    Neil Tarazona
    2011-07-27

Hi everydoby:

Someone has the last source with the changes? I tried changing the code and it didn´t  work.

Thanks all.

• S. Michel
    S. Michel
    2011-09-29

Some more…

* In CPortAbout.dfm the copyright date should be updated to "1998 - 2011"

* TAboutBox, TComSetupFrm and TComTrmSetForm should use the Font "Tahoma". This is now the new default value for TForm. All the components inside the forms are set to use the ParentFont, so this should be a quick fix.

*All the dfm files should be set to "Text DFM". This is better for Subversion since it's a text file rather than binary. The only thing I don't know, since when RAD Studio started to use this feature. So, if you still want to support older version of Delphi, it might be better to keep it like it is right now.

Thanks