Any Chance of DB independance?

2003-04-13
2003-04-22
  • Mark Gordon

Mark Gordon - 2003-04-13

Has Jorge lost interest in db independance?

I have not heard much chatter on this subject.

-mark

• Jorg Janke

Jorg Janke - 2003-04-13

No but rather talking about it ... I work on it.

• Mark Gordon

Mark Gordon - 2003-04-13

Ouch.

The only reason I ask.... I have been spending time understanding JBoss & JBoss CMP with the understanding that Compiere will be using this technology more in the future.

that's it.....

-mark

• MOGHRABI

MOGHRABI - 2003-04-22

Hello

I think it would be really hard to reach soon a DBMS independance. THe main probleme seems to be the powerful lake of CMP entity Bean (just an example : it doesn't manage date).

I don't think you can do a software just using CMP entity Bean for manage persistant nowadays (even with the EJB 2.1 specification). You've to wait that the language called EJB-QL (independant from DBMS) become more complete.

Else I encourage developpers to use SAPDB (www.sapdb.org) as DBMS because :
      - it's under GPL licence and free,
      - runs as well on Windows as Unix, Linux.... (that PostgreSQL doesn't)
      - it seems to be powerful (more than PostgreSQL but not less than the last release of Oracle) and complete
      - easy to install and to use.

Thus with that DBMS, Compiere could work with a free and Open source DBMS on any OS.

Xavier

PS : I do not work at SAP, I'm just a french student... Sorry for my mistakes.

• MOGHRABI

MOGHRABI - 2003-04-22

Hello

I think it would be really hard to reach soon a DBMS independance. THe main probleme seems to be the powerful lake of CMP entity Bean (just an example : it doesn't manage date).

I don't think you can do a software just using CMP entity Bean for manage persistant nowadays (even with the EJB 2.1 specification). You've to wait that the language called EJB-QL (independant from DBMS) become more complete.

Else I encourage developpers to use SAPDB (www.sapdb.org) as DBMS because :
      - it's under GPL licence and free,
      - runs as well on Windows as Unix, Linux.... (that PostgreSQL doesn't)
      - it seems to be powerful (more than PostgreSQL but not less than the last release of Oracle) and complete
      - easy to install and to use.

Thus with that DBMS, Compiere could work with a free and Open source DBMS on any OS.

Xavier

PS : I do not work at SAP, I'm just a french student... Sorry for my mistakes.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks