First step!

2003-04-08
2003-04-10
  • My suggestion is to start by porting the database to the SQL-99 standard. This standard is supported by Oracle, DB2, SQL Server and others. I don't know about Postgres or MySQL, but at least we would then have some common groud to start from.
    I will gladly help with this task and have infact already started a bit, since I'm trying to port the database to Mimer, a fully SQL-99 compliant DB.

This way we don't need any translation program as suggested.

/Z

• Robert Miles
      Robert Miles
      2003-04-09

zericson:

I'm just beggining in Compiere, but I realized that just translating everything into SQL-99 standard doesn't solve the problem.
      PL/SQL is very deeply integrated into the code, and is a huge part of the whole customization support (acording to Jesse it would be a second stage of customization, rarely necessary).
      AFAIK there's no stored procedures standards avaiable, so we need to port for each database and its possibilities within stored procedures support.

• As I understand it (not beeing an expert in the area) the SQL-99 standard contains something called PSM (persisten stored modules). PSM should accourding to my sources contain everything from PL/SQL and a little bit more.

• Robert Miles
          Robert Miles
          2003-04-10

Can't you prepare a presentation about PSM? So you can present it to Jorg and maybe he can accept your idea.
          Try to build a good document pointing pros and cons, be direct and sincere, I'm sure he'll consider

You can contact me directly by email: mazza at altern.org. I'd like to see this document. :o)

• Robert Miles
          Robert Miles
          2003-04-10

Can't you prepare a presentation about PSM, so you can present it to Jorg and maybe he can accept your idea.
          Try to build a good document pointing pros and cons, be direct and sincere, I'm sure he'll consider

You can contact me directly by email: mazza at altern.org. I'd like to see this document. :o)