Interesting articles

2006-08-29
2013-05-02
  • Trifon (An ADempiere founder)

Hi Dear Compiere developers,

in this thread i will post links to some interesting articles i read.

Here is the first one:

http://www.softwarebyrob.com/articles/Personality_Traits_of_the_Best_Software_Developers.aspx

Hope that you will find it interesting.

Reading this article i feel sorry that probably Compiere will never reach this level of bug free software :(

Unforutnaly i didn't find good answer how we as developers can help to imporove it as we do not have chance to contribute changes to compiere source tree.

Kind regards,
    Trifon

• DigitalArmour

DigitalArmour - 2006-08-30

Trifon
      If you register as a developer with Compiere you can send through the fixes. Have you tried that?
      Regards
      Mani

Hi Mani,

do oyu know how to register and how to became person with right to commit?

Kind Regards,
        Trifon

• DigitalArmour

DigitalArmour - 2006-08-31

sure, Trifon. Pls write to info@compiere.org and tell them that you are interested in getting registered as a developer.

Regards
          Mani

Hi Mani,

thank you for your advice.
            I made it:

Dear Compiere Inc.

I would like kindly to ask you to became Compiere developer.

In my daily work with Compiere i fix many bugs in Compiere and i would like this bugs to be available to other Compiere developers and users.

Please let me know what i need to do in order to have access right to Compiere CVS Tree.

Please do not respond that i need to attend Compiere training as this will be only waste of money and time from my side. I believe that i showed enough knowledge in Compiere forums and that i will be able to help to improve Compiere.

Kind regards,
            Trifon Trifonov

I do not have any hope but future will show.

Regards,
            Trifon

• Alejandro Falcone

Hi Trifon,
      I believe that they require that you attend to the training in first place.  I think that you have shown to have a great knowledge of compiere and I don't doubt that you would be able to contribute to a large extent to the Compiere's improvement.
      Your contributions in this forums are big!

Best regards

Alejandro

• Alejandro Falcone

Trifon, you can see this:
      http://www.compiere.org/contribute.html

Regards

Alejandro

• Armen Rizal (Goodwill)

Is this kinda joke ?

You have to realize that Compiere development is not based on community.

I once contributed to ComPiere. However my work soon be replaced by a certain Partner's work. Not only replacing, this Partner insist that Compiere CVS should leave no trace of my work.

Is this ethical ? Let's say because they have paid $8000 and they want their name as part of contributors. When confronted, they argue that ComPiere prefer financial support rather than developement support.

However I can argue this way, my first knowledge is by attending training by a Compiere partner. Thus, actually I have supported ComPiere financially - in indirect way because ComPiere said they do not compete with their partners. More partner make profits, more Compiere have long-standing partners.

I have tons of improvement codes at my hands,
      I have Doc Sequence Advanced Format
      (e.g. add DD/MM/YY, Roman numeral support)
      ,Doc Sequence Advanced Reset
      (e.g. by date/month/year, support backward and forward transaction), I have scheduler implementation, I have offline sychronizers between servers (e.g. HQ and branches), etc, etc.

If it does mean that you have to pay before you can contribute, then forget it. I won't bother.

no offense,please. :-)

Cheers,

Armen

sourceforge.net/projects/starprise

Hi Armen,

From my side this is not joke. I sent email and sked Compiere Inc. In ofurm i posted content of email i sent.

I know that you had very hard times with Compiere Inc.... Like all we (WE means Independent Compiere Customization Vendors) and not only small one, the biggest examle is Postgres port.

I want to thank you that you have courage to post and share with us your problems. Very few people find that courage to say publicly what they do not like in Compiere Inc. politic.

I think that i'm last man who is trying to chalange Compiere Inc. and ask hard questions. Most of the peolpe simple abandoned Compiere and made their own projects. I'm afraid that time which Compiere Inc. has is very limited and they must became more open ...

Kind regards,
        Trifon

• Redhuan D. Oon

Redhuan D. Oon - 2006-09-03

What Armen claimed is very serious. ComPiere Inc shuold NEVER allow a honest contributor's name rubbed off.

Trifon,
      Did Compiere reply to your email?

I did send email before, and at that time i was a Compiere Partner(!) as Founder of OpenFIx (Malaysia pioneer) 3 years ago. I didnt get much response.

Soon i left to put my own work in my own forums, and so did many others.

I hope Armen will publish his contributions openly and within his site. If he likes, he can pass to my site as a mirror too. In www.red1.org no contributive name is ever rubbed off, but furthermore reviewed and promoted personally where deserved.

btw the latest hot topic i invite every1 to discuss is the seemingly open requests for Compiere to be professionally forked http://red1.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=931

We also need verification if Compiere is getting closed, its CVS outdated, and its codes hijacked by others (sensitive issue so i will edit some proper post on this later).

Hi Red1,

thank you for joining this discussion.

Yes i got reposnse from Compiere Inc.

They asked me to sign contributor agrement, i have already signed it, 1-2 months before.

And asked me if i have will to go to San Francisco for the contributor conference. But this is too expensive for me. And i do not know what is the aim of this conference. In our time conference could be made online. From my side spending 1-2000 USD just to attend one conference is luxury.

And one interesting part they asked me if i have will to became part of Compiere staff...

Kind regards,
        Trifon

• Redhuan D. Oon

Redhuan D. Oon - 2006-09-03

You should become ComPiere staff, cos i believe u r most qualified and will do very much and yet maintain the Open Source spirit. The spirit is what i believe will never change in you.

Its better to have more staff there like u than otherwise.

btw they pay in USD, which is gud enuf for the time being :D

Also if u become staff, they shuld finance your trip there first.

best of luck!

• tech8liss

tech8liss - 2006-09-30

Hi All,

Allow me to clarify this false public accusition by Armen.

We never stole any work from Armen & it was clear that the work derived from a different source.

This even confirmed by Armen himself as shown in message thread below.
      -------------------------------------------------
         Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:56:04 +0700
      Subject: RE: Armen: Indo Translation

Pak Iwan, ini adalah pekerjaan yang berbeda.
      Pekerjaan saya sempat masuk,
      kalau gak salah di v.252f dan v.253a (CMIIW). Tetapi versi yang terakhir dan
      seterusnya adalah memakai pekerjaan Pak Halim. Karena ya itu tadi, kata
      Frans, saya nggak bayar $$$ :-D

Saya mengucapkan terima kasih atas perhatian dari kawan-kawan di
      IndoCompiere. Sebaiknya masalah ini tidak perlu dibesar-besarkan. Masih
      banyak pekerjaan lain yang bisa kita kontribusikan kok. Tapi jangan
      dikontribusikan ke ComPiere, Inc. tetapi ke komunitas bebas aja seperti
      Red1.org, Compilo, JazzERP, dan tentu saja IndoCompiere.

BTW, domain IndoCompiere.org sudah nggak ada ya Pak Iwan ? Pake aja saya
      punya IndoCompiere.com ?

Thanks,

Armen
      ------------------------------------------------
         Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:45:50 +0700
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 325

Frans & lainnya,

Sebelum   kalian  berpikir  yang  bukan-bukan,  tolong  dicek  kembali
      sourcenya  sekaligus  folder CVSROOT/data/in_ID. Memang diakui terjadi
      kesalah  pahaman  dari  Jorg  yang melakukan CVS commit dari sourcenya
      Armen.

Saya  telah  menyarankan  ke Jorg untuk menghapus semua file kepunyaan
      Armen  yang  telah  terlanjur dicommit, dengan demikian tidak lagi ada
      perdebatan yang menjurus pencemaran nama baik di forum ini.

Perlu diketahui bahwa PT. RFID telah mulai melakukan translation sejak
      versi 2.5.1f dan terakhir diupdate untuk versi 2.5.3a.

File2 yang dikirim Armen mempunyai header sbb:
      /******************************************************************************
      * The contents of this file are subject to the   Compiere License  Version 1.1
      * ("License"); You may not use this file except in compliance with the License
      * You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.compiere.org/license.html
      * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an  "AS IS"  basis,
      * WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for
      * the specific language governing rights and limitations under the License.
      * The Original Code is                  Compiere  ERP & CRM  Business Solution
      * The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Jorg Janke  and ComPiere, Inc.
      * Portions created by Jorg Janke are Copyright (C) 1999-2001 Jorg Janke, parts
      * created by ComPiere are Copyright (C) ComPiere, Inc.;   All Rights Reserved.
      * Contributor(s): ______________________________________.
      *****************************************************************************/

sedangkan file2 posting PT. RFID adalah sbb:

/******************************************************************************
      * The contents of this file are subject to the   Compiere License  Version 1.1
      * ("License"); You may not use this file except in compliance with the License
      * You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.compiere.org/license.html
      * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an  "AS IS"  basis,
      * WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for
      * the specific language governing rights and limitations under the License.
      * The Original Code is Compiere ERP & CRM Smart Business Solution. The Initial
      * Developer of the Original Code is Jorg Janke. Portions created by Jorg Janke
      * are Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Jorg Janke.
      * All parts are Copyright (C) 1999-2005 ComPiere, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
      * Contributor(s): PT. RFID INDONESIA (info@rfid-indonesia.com)_______________.
      *****************************************************************************/

Frans,  sebagai  "senior"  di  forum  ini, tolong lain kali kalau anda
      ingin  menyebarkan  'FUD',  dikonfirmasikan  dulu ke sumbernya (Jorg &
      saya). Kelihatan sekali anda lebih vokal dibanding Armen sendiri.

Salam,
      Halim
      -------------------------------------------------

Armen, I can't help to think what grudge you're having upon us since we never actually met but let me tell you, your ill intention against us will have to stop here. I'm very unpleased with your false public accusition.

I demand immediate public apology in this forum or we may have to bring this issue to court of justice.

Regards,
      Halim Englen
      PT. RFID Indonesia

• Armen Rizal (Goodwill)

Halim,

I don't know where you get such impression. I never said you or anybody stole my work. Please read carefully. I said my work was replaced. And I speak for truth.

My confirmation in Indocompiere forum that your work and mine is totally different is clear enough. This also show I never have ill intention against you from the very beginning. Let no one provoke you

regards,

Armen