How to define products in Compiere

2009-06-20
2013-05-02
  • Parag Patil

Parag Patil - 2009-06-20

I want to ask you regarding product definition in Compiere and the question goes as follows.
    If I define products without attributes and attribute set, while generating order will it give me option to select the product attributes which I have already defined.
    For Eg:
    Consider I define two attributes ie colour and size with the required attribute values (Red,Green and Small Large respectively) and then I create an Attribute set say Tiles, to which I assign the color and size attributes. Now cosider I have define a product called Jaguar Tiles by associating attribute set Tiles without setting attribute set instances. Now during purchase will I be able to select 10 Tiles with different attribute set instances.
    For eg:
    Tiles (Red-small)
    Tiles(Green-small) and soon.
    So basically I dont want to set Tiles (Red-small) and Tiles(Green-small) as different products. By defining single product Tiles, I should be able to select Tiles with different attribute set instance during purchase.

Regards,
    Parag Patil.

• albert

albert - 2009-06-20

Why we use attribute set ,
      casue we want the Product's Value(Product Code) and Name is same one,
      But specification is different, like color/size....
      When we create a product without attribute, but we need define the attribute set instances for Sales/Purchase Order Line's item.

>>10 Tiles with different attribute set instances.
      >>For eg:
      >>Tiles (Red-small)
      >>Tiles(Green-small) and soon.
      >>So basically I dont want to set Tiles (Red-small) and Tiles(Green-small) >>as different products.
      >>By defining single product Tiles,
      >>I should be able to select Tiles with different attribute set instance >>during purchase.

Yes,,

But sometime in case, we define another way is Size/Color in the Warehouse's Location, and Purchase order's add field call Size/Color,
      this way is customization, not use universal's attribute.

• Andries Pretorius

For novice, its best you view product setup on the manual at  http://wiki.compiere.com/display/docs/Products