Bypassing "add new hardware" wizard

Help
jtbrody
2008-02-14
2013-05-20
  • jtbrody

jtbrody - 2008-02-14

Hi,
    I'm working on a project where we are creating a lot of virtual port pairs, and clicking through the add hardware wizard is making things slower.  I followed the instructions in the Readme, specifically the following:

-create a com0com.cat file from com0com.inf using inf2cat
    -get a certificate (my company has a Verisign Class 3 code signing certificate)
    -sign the com0com.cat file with your certificate using signtool
    -add the certificate to the trusted root and trusted publisher stores

After this I still get the add new hardware wizard when creating a port pair.  Any ideas?  Has anyone successfully used the signed catalog with com0com, and are there any hidden steps?

Thanks

• Vyacheslav Frolov

AFAIK you do not need to add your Verisign Class 3 code signing
      certificate to the trusted root and trusted publisher stores.

Right click properties of com0com.cat and sure that the signature is valid.
      Make sure that com0com.cat, com0com.inf and com0com.sys are in the
      same directory. Possible the copy of com0com.inf and com0com.sys
      was found by system in other directory that used earlier.

• jtbrody

jtbrody - 2008-02-14

Thanks Vyacheslav.  I did inspect the .cat file and its signature is valid, and matches the one on our certificate.  However when I look at the com0com entries in the device manager, it says the driver does not have a digital signature.  To be sure that Windows was picking the right files, I even incremented the version number in the .inf and .sys files, and then I tried changing the GUID (recompiling the code) to force Windows to copy the new files to Windows/inf and Windows/system32/drivers.  All the files (.inf, .cat, .sys) are in the same folder, but for some reason it seems the .cat file is still not being consulted when the driver is loaded.

I'm stumped.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks.

• Vyacheslav Frolov

The http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f/7/af7777e5-7dcd-4800-8a0a-b18336565f5b/deploy.doc
      says that third party signing is not allowed for XP:

---
      Digitally sign all driver packages by submitting them to the Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).
      Beginning with Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003, driver packages for devices that are not covered by the Windows Logo Program for Hardware can be signed by a third party.
      ---

BTW with "test certificate" signing it's fine for XP too.

• jtbrody

jtbrody - 2008-02-21

OK, I used a test certificate instead and it is working now in XP.  I did not know that about third party certificates in XP.  Thanks!

One other question I have, does anybody know why the Add New Hardware wizard comes up every time you add a port when the driver is not signed?  For other unsigned drivers the wizard seems to come up the first time, but then after that installation happens automatically. I wonder why it is different for com0com?