Menu

Can't get com0com working on Windows 10 (Win 10, Win10)

Help
2018-05-11
2024-05-16
  • Brendan Simon

Brendan Simon - 2018-05-11

I can't get com0como working on Windows 10. I'm using the latest signed drivers ( Setup_com0com_v3.0.0.0_W7_x64_signed.exe )

It looks like a signing problem. Surely my root certificates are ok on Win 10 ??

Does the driver need to be updated with a newer cert?

What's the best way to get this to work on Win 10?

Thanks, Brendan.

• Markus

Markus - 2018-08-29

I have the same problem. Looking into the installer's certificate, it seems to be valid until January 2018 (?!), and I believe this is the reason.
    Possible solutions which are working for me:
    turn off driver signature enforcement, this works with both signed and unsigned installers of com0com 3.0 for me.
    use com0com 2.2 signed installer, this one gives me a popup to trust the author when starting the installer, and everything works afterwards.

Since I didn't want to turn off a Windows security feature, I'm going with the second option for now.

• CyberCircuits Lab.

Issue since the release of Windows 10, version 1607

According to Windows Driver Signing Policy "Starting with Windows 10, version 1607, Windows will not load any new kernel-mode drivers which are not signed by the Dev Portal."

There are exceptions though, If your PC was upgraded from an earlier release of Windows to Windows 10, version 1607 the driver should work but for fresh install of Windows 10, version 1607 or later you will have to turn off the Secure Boot from BIOS since the last exception is not applicable as the driver was signed after July 29th 2015.

I believe it is safer to set the Secure Boot to off instead of turning off the driver signature enforcement otherwise try the signed com0com 2.2.

• Techineer

Techineer - 2021-11-20

Go to Device Manager and find the driver under com0com. Open the properties and the Update tab. Click Update Driver; let it try searching (it won't find one on your computer); then let it search Windows Update for a current driver. This will install a new driver in addition to the old bad one. Delete the old bad one. You may need to repeat when you create new port pairs, but it will find the good driver on your PC now.

• doug

doug - 2022-04-08

I get this same error when installing on Windows 11. Is there a signed com0com for Windows 11 available? Any suggestions if using Windows 11?

• Oliver Heggelbacher

We ran into the same issue recently. As mentioned by Markus above, v2.2.2.0 works for us.

I tested and confirmed that the com0com V2.2.2.0 x64 signed installer can be installed and used on up-to-date Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Last edit: Oliver Heggelbacher 2022-08-31
  • Joel Kuehner

Joel Kuehner - 2022-09-01

I ran into the same problem today. The link that Oliver posted (based on Markus' suggestion) worked for me.

• Simon Harston

Simon Harston - 2023-09-15

Friendly nudge to have a look at this post: https://sourceforge.net/p/com0com/bugs/32/#c463 There is a signed version of 3.0.0 that works because it was built pre-Win10-build1607, therefore the signing cert is accepted even on Windows11 to this day. Try it, I honestly think it will work for y'all.

• Gavin Paterson

Gavin Paterson - 2024-03-18

I installed version 2.2.2.0 on Windows 11 without turning off Secure Boot as per the post by "Oliver Heggelbacher". It works! although N.B. the driver ports won't appear under the "Ports" heading in Device Manager. If you can live with that and the older version then I would encourage giving it a try..

• Simon Harston

Simon Harston - 2024-03-18

Hi Gavin,
      yes, v.2.2.2 did not have the support for the "Ports" device-class, that only came with 3.0.
      However I am not sure why you recommend using the older 2.2.2 when there is a "known-good" way of getting com0com 3.0 with Secure Boot active and all. Just see my post #c463 above, I promise it works, Ilast installed com0com on Windows 11 23H2 in January.
      Best regards!

• John doe

John doe - 2024-05-16

Hello Simon. I have tried the 3.0.0 solution signed by you mentioned in post #c463. Im running w11 23H2 up to date and the device drivers show the same error as before. Have you got any updates?
        Best regards,
        Dennis.