Menu

Using com0com as a printer port

Help
2009-05-20
2013-05-20
  • Terry Johnson

Terry Johnson - 2009-05-20

Hi,

I have an application that uses a generic text only printer driver to feed data in. Generally it all works as expected, but initially it doesn't. Here's the method and observed behaviour ...

1. On a virgin machine (2000/XP/Vista/7 seem to behave the same) install com0com.

2. Create a local port CNCA0

3. Create generic text only printer with port CNCA0

4. Open hyperterm and configure for CNCB0

5. Do a test print, nothing comes out. Using another hyperterm session on CNCA0 will confirm the connection works.

6. After some time, generally a day or two, the generic printer connection now works. It doesn't seem to be related to restarting the computer (and/or spooler).

I'm quite perplexed by it all. If anyone has any suggestions, I have the means to readily create 'virgin test machines' with VMWare to try to sort out where I'm coming unstuck.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Terry

• Vyacheslav Frolov

I've done it on W2K w/o any problems.

The generic text only printer always adds empty page to the end.
      So, did you scroll up hyperterm window to see the text?

• Terry Johnson

Terry Johnson - 2009-05-21

Ah ... I see what is going on. There was a change in portname during my install process that caused things to behave oddly. The scrolling has caught me out in the past as well - I know hyperterm is often the source of problems, I've been using it for years and discovered a new one just last week. Thanks for your reply.