Menu

Very slow driver installation

Help
2007-08-31
2013-05-20
  • Konstantin Schauwecker

Hello everybody!

I have a Windows 2000 system (with a 3.4 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM) that takes very long to install a pair of com ports. It takes something above 3 minutes from the install command until windows has finished all driver installations.

On the other hand I emulate a Windows 2000 System on my Mac using Virtual PC and there the driver installs utterly fast, although the emulated system normally is very slow (as I'm doing the emulation on a PPC Mac...).

I was wondering if there are any known reasons that could slow the installation down. I couldn't find any suspicious processes. During the whole installation the CPU load stays low.

I'd be thankful for any hint!

Konstantin Schauwecker

• don49

don49 - 2007-08-31

Hello,

I agree. Creating virtual COM ports is very slow. I am using Com0Com to emulate a large number of devices, and it takes forever to create the virtual COM ports. It would also be much more convenient if the Found New Hardware Wizard could be hidden.

VSPD from Eltima creates virtual COM ports very quickly, and the Found New Hardware Wizard does not appear. Any idea how they create their virual COM ports?

Thanks.
      Don

• Konstantin Schauwecker

I was examining this problem a little further. My suspicion was, that some system service might be slowing the driver installation down. So I started to stop several services manually. After that the com0com installation was very quick (just a few seconds, compared to those 3 minutes it took before). So I began to restart those services one by one but strangely com0com kept on installing quickly. Then I rebooted the system several times, confirmed that all services where running again, and still the installation was fast.

Now this is very odd! I can't explain why stopping a process can influence the system behavior after the next reboot. And now I can't tell, which service might have caused the problem :-/

Konstantin

• Konstantin Schauwecker

Ok, I have found the guilty process. It's the Trend Micro OfficeScan Virus scanner that slows everything down. Strangely it doesn't influence the installation of other drivers like Eltima.