Cannot share a port

Help
HagueB
2009-11-06
2013-05-20
  • HagueB

HagueB - 2009-11-06

Hi,
    I'm trying to share a port so that it can be used either by a local application, or over the network. It will never be used by both at once. 
    I have three COM ports, COM5 which is real and two virtual ones, COM6 and COM7. If I share it with `hub4com.exe -baud=9600 -route=0:all -route=1:0 \\.\COM5 \\.\CNCB0 \\.\CNCB1` then COM6 works and COM7 doesn't. If I share it with `hub4com.exe -baud=9600 -route=0:all -route=2:0 \\.\COM5 \\.\CNCB0 \\.\CNCB1` then COM7 works and COM6 doesn't. If I then try to use both fully with  `hub4com.exe -baud=9600 -route=0:all -route=1,2:0 \\.\COM5 \\.\CNCB0 \\.\CNCB1` then it partially works, as I can get some data, but it then stops working. It seems to be something to do with flow control, as adding the option `-no-default-fc-route=2:0` causes COM6 to work, and COM7 to partially work. 
    I think the application is using Xon/Xoff flow control as I was seeing messages about that with Portmon. All the ports are set with XON/XOFF: OFF.  
    I'm using 2.2.1.0. 
    Is it possible to have flow control from two virtual ports without them interfering with each other? 
    Thanks.

• Vyacheslav Frolov

> Is it possible to have flow control
    > from two virtual ports without them
    > interfering with each other?

In general case it's not possible.

> It will never be used by both at once

For this case it's possible.

> I think the application is using
    > Xon/Xoff flow control

Check that enabled baud rate emulation and buffer overrun for all com0com ports (EmuBR=yes,EmuOverrun=yes).

Try with option -octs=off.

Other options that can help: -ox, -ix, -write-limit.

See
        hub4com -help=serial

• HagueB

HagueB - 2009-11-23

Thanks, it's working now. It seemed to be the EMuBR=yes,EmuOverrun=yes and -octs=off options that did it.