Menu

PNP serial device through com0com

Help
Anonymous
2010-03-31
2013-05-20
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-03-31

Hi, and first of all thank you for com0com. Superb piece of software.

I have a question though

The situation: PC1 has an internal PNP device connected to a non COMx interface (/ACPI/PNP0501/). It is linked to PC2 via TCP/IP. PC2 runs under Vista64 and has NO physical serial ports, although its Super I/O chip integrates UARTs

What I would like to do: Have PC2 use the distant device as it was physically connected to it (and thus recognize it as a local PNP device, and install a driver for it)

**What I have achieved so far: [/b I managed to forward data from the distant device to a com0com port on PC2. I had to install Linux on PC1, then use setserial to setup a standard /dev/ttys0/ device for PNP0501, and then use remserial to broadcast ttys0 to eth1. Then on the PC2 side, I set up a pair of ports (say CNCB0 <-> COM3) and used hub4com as per "RFC 2217 client" example.
    Using RealTerm on COM3, I could see the distant device sending data.

And then…  I still have to somehow add a "fake" PNP device in PC2's device manager that would look like the distant one, and have it connected under COM3. To this end I used PNPComSimulator (as per http://www.bds.dogma.net/pnp_part2.htm ), which can fake a PNP Serial device's response when polled by DevManager. I plugged it into CNCB0, started PNP Simulation, and had Windows check for hardware changes.
    Sadly, it didn't do anything, as (I suppose) Windows doesn't check for PNP Devices through com0com ports.

The question : Is it possible to have the device manager look for PNP equipement via com0com? If so, how would you do it? I know it's quite a long post, and actually, well, two questions, but I'd be very obliged if you could give me a hint.

Cheers,
    trankzen.**

• Vyacheslav Frolov

You need to add serenum filter to com0com:

1. Launch the Setup Command Prompt shortcut.
    2. Enter the uninstall and quit commands:

command> uninstall
           command> quit

3. Add the following strings to %ProgramFiles%\com0com\com0com.inf:

AddReg=com0com_AddReg_HW

HKR,,"UpperFilters",0x00010000,"serenum"

(it's OK before "" string).

4. Install virtual port pairs again.

NOTE: The serenum service should be installed before it (at least one
    standard serial port should be installed). If it's not installed then
    install new fake one with the "Add/Remove Hardware" wizard.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-04-01

Worked a treat! Thank you very much.

I couldn't have find it all by myself. Cheers!

Trankzen