Menu

Why uses Com0Com an own Class?

Help
2009-07-17
2013-05-20
  • Dominik Schmidt

Dominik Schmidt - 2009-07-17

Hello !

I really like Com0Com but I have problems in several areas because Com0Com uses its own Device Class.
    So why are you using a special class?
    Or in other words ... Is there a way to let the user decide which class ComßCom uses for the ports?

I know that there is a solution (https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=5165214) but I think this is a very confusing and complicated way.

• Vyacheslav Frolov

> So why are you using a special class?

The standard class assigns first free COMx name to the each newly created port.
      So it does not allow
        - use names other then COMx;
        - pre-assign the name to a port before creating.

So

With com0com's class you can say: "Create me the pairs COM10<->PORT0, COM11<->PORT1 ... COM19<->PORT9".
      With standard class you can only say: "Create me the pairs COM?<->COM?, COM?<->COM? ... COM?<->COM?".

> Is there a way to let the user decide which class ComßCom uses for the ports?

No. I plan to implement it when get some free time.

• Dominik Schmidt

Dominik Schmidt - 2009-07-18

Hi !

>With standard class you can only say: "Create me the pairs COM?<->COM?, COM?<->>COM? ... COM?<->COM?".
      I don´t think that this is a real disadvantage. Most applications are not able to use other ports then COM?. And you have ports up to COM255. I think this should be enough for the most situations :-)

>No. I plan to implement it when get some free time.
      This would be great.