Thanks for the ideas.  I used dd to verify that the device was mapped to what I expected in windows.  I also tried the direct hard drive access format you suggested, unfortunately with the same results.

The problem occurred actually when I upgraded from ubuntu edgy 6.10 to gutsy 7.10.  I noticed when I boot up in gutsy, instead of /dev/hda devices I have /dev/sda.  Sometimes when I try to mount an external usb drive (when booted natively, not through colinux) I get /dev/..: Device or resource busy, same as I get with the swap.  Unplugging and replugging the usb drive fixes it, obviously can't do that with an internal swap device.  Anyways I'm not sure why it's suddenly doing that, but it might be related.

In any case, I use a file swap 'device' and that's enabled me to use the more memory intensive programs again.

-Andrew

On Jan 26, 2008 5:25 AM, Henry Nestler <Henry.Ne@arcor.de> wrote:
Andrew Roth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used to be able to mount my swap partition in colinux, but it seems to
> be failing silently now.
>
> [...]
> --(23:47)-- $ sudo mkswap /dev/hda5
> /dev/hda5: Device or resource busy
> --(/home/andrewr)-----------------------------------(andrewr@andrewr-laptop:1)--
> --(23:47)-- $
>
> My config is pretty simple:
> [...]
> # File systems
> hda5=\Device\HarddiskVolume4 # swap
> hda6=\Device\HarddiskVolume5 # ubuntu

Doubble check, that you used the right Volume number 4.
>From http://www.chrysocome.net/dd run
 dd --list
and check that the name HarddiskVolume4 is linked to your Partition.

I'm preffer more the style in form
 hda5=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition4 # swap
 hda6=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition5 # ubuntu
There the names are coded by hardware, and not from windows internal
counts of "HarddiskVolume*".

Other idea is to use a swapfile in the mounted hda6 filesystem.

--
Henry N.