Close

unable to connect to internet inside colinux

Help
dsharma
2010-08-26
2013-05-09
  • dsharma

dsharma - 2010-08-26

Hi , iam new to colinux. I just installed it on my Windows XP machine. I downloaded and extracted Fedora10 file image and a swap file of size 512 Mb. But when i start colinux then iam unable to install anything. The message shown is  "eth0: no IPv6 routers present" . Iam using eth0=slip. Please tell me the steps configure my example.conf  to connect to internet inside colinux.

My example.conf file contents are:

#
    # This is an example for a configuration file that can
    # be passed to colinux-daemon in this manner:
    #
    #    colinux-daemon @example.conf
    #
    # Note that you can still prepend or append configuration and
    # boot parameters before and after '@', or you can use more
    # that one '@ to load several settings one after another.
    #
    #    colinux-daemon @example.conf @overrider.conf mem=32
    #
    # Full list of config params is listed in colinux-daemon.txt.

# The default kernel
    kernel=vmlinux

# File contains the root file system.
    # Download and extract preconfigured file from SF "Images for 2.6".
    cobd0="C:\Nagios Core\Fedora-10.img"

# Swap device, should be an empty file with 128..512MB.
    cobd1="C:\Nagios Core\swap.img"

# Tell kernel the name of root device (mostly /dev/cobd0,
    # /dev/cobd/0 on Gentoo)
    # This parameter will be forward to Linux kernel.
    root=/dev/cobd0

# Additional kernel parameters (ro = rootfs mount read only)
    ro

# Initrd installs modules into the root file system.
    # Need only on first boot.
    initrd=initrd.gz

# Maximal memory for linux guest
    #mem=64

# Select console size, default is 80x25
    #cocon=120x40

# Slirp for internet connection (outgoing)
    # Inside running coLinux configure eth0 with this static settings:
    #ipaddress 10.0.2.15   broadcast  10.0.2.255   netmask 255.255.255.0
    #gateway   10.0.2.2    nameserver 10.0.2.3
    eth0=slirp,,tcp:22:22/tcp:80:80/tcp:3306:3306

# Tuntap as private network between guest and host on second linux device
    #eth1=tuntap

# Setup for serial device
    #ttys0=COM1,"BAUD=115200 PARITY=n DATA=8 STOP=1 dtr=on rts=on"

# Run an application on colinux start (Sample Xming, a Xserver)
    #exec0=C:\Programs\Xming\Xming.exe,":0 -clipboard -multiwindow -ac"

My ipconfig results:
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.148.1
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.148.1

• Henry N.

Henry N. - 2010-08-26

"udev" is no problem inside Fedora10.

Have quick checked Fedora-10-20090228.exe. Simple unpacked to my favorite directory, adjusted the paths from "C:/Program Files/coLinux/" to my directory and started the batch start-Fedora-10.bat
    Inside Linux started "yum grouplist", and I see, network runs fine.

• Henry N.

Henry N. - 2010-08-27

dineshs112
    2010-08-27 11:59:14 CEST
    Hi, Iam new to colinux. I installed colinux with Fedora 10 as root file system image on my windows machine but iam unable to connect to internet through 'slirp'. When i do ping 10.0.2.2 (which is my gateway ip address) it shows 0% packet loss. Please tell me the detailed steps to enable networking through slirp. What should i write next to eth0 (eth0=slirp,????)in .config file.

eth0=slirp is enough.
    More options are for VNC, please see in file start-Fedora-10.bat, you have also extracted from arcive.

If you can ping 10.0.2.2, then the Linux side seams be ok.

If you use redirections (the additional tcp and udp options after the eth0=slirp,…), then you must allow colinux-slirp-net-daemon.exe these ports. Generally you must allow outgoing Internet traffic for colinux-slirp-net-daemon.exe, please check this, or disable the firewall temporally.

Is your Internet settings on Windows OK? Why ipconfig prints two the same gateways and no IP address and no DNS server?

• dsharma

dsharma - 2010-08-30

Fedora10.bat contents are:
    "colinux-daemon.exe kernel=vmlinux initrd=initrd.gz mem=256 cobd0="E:/Nagios Core/Fedora-10.img" cobd1="E:/Nagios Core/swap.img" root=/dev/cobd0 eth0=slirp, ro"
    Are these contents OK? Yes, through ifconfig eth0 i can  see 10.0.2.15
    ping 10.0.2.2 is working fine. So according to your suggestions the only troubleshooting left is with firewall . I need to allow the exception for colinux-slirp-net-daemon.exe.

• dsharma

dsharma - 2010-08-30

Iam also able to ping my connection-specific DNS suffix and the ip address which windows shows, but not able to connect to internet still.

• Terry Weiss

Terry Weiss - 2010-09-01

I may be able to help here. I have had the same problem on several colinux instances. In each case, I was able to narrow it down to something with the MAC address. It seems that while some MAC addresses are valid, in the sense that they follow the rules, they can't be used. The tip I had was when my router would not allow me to create a static address for one of the ethx definitions I had (it was an ndis-bridge) and it complained about the MAC address, saying it was not valid. This was a hard coded address in my conf file. When I changed it - I used a MAC address generator - the router accepted it and then suddenly the machine could actually download and browse.

In each case I had the similar symptoms. slirp, ndis-bridge and tuntap could resolve names, ping addresses and gateways, but could not wget or apt-get.

HTH,
    terry

• Henry N.

Henry N. - 2010-09-01

@terry, the MAC can not be a problem for slirp, because slirp is a user land proxy and your router can not see any MAC from Linux side. Slirp uses simple TCP and UDP sockets on the Windows side to send and receives the packets. So, for slirp your router will all times only see your MAC from Windows Ethernet card.

@dsharma, how do you test the network connection? Remember, that you can not ping outside of the network 10.0.2.x via ping. This is not supported for mostly hosts. You needs to use command line functions like "host fs.net" or "wget sf.net".

• Terry Weiss

Terry Weiss - 2010-09-01

re: slirp - yep you are right, but the issue is reproducible. I don't want to hijack this thread. I'll start another.

• kevin hardiek

kevin hardiek - 2011-02-10

Was there a final resolution to this thread?  Thanks.

• Henry N.

Henry N. - 2011-02-10

Resolustion was answer No. 5:

I need to allow the exception for colinux-slirp-net-daemon.exe

Disable the firewall temporally, and after that works set the specific option for SLiRP. Allow SLiRP for outgoing Internet connections.