problem accessing X server running on WinXP

• coLinux_YY

coLinux_YY - 2007-01-03

Dear coLinux users,

I recently installed coLinux 0.6.4 on my WinXP (SP2). It was very smooth to boot up coLinux. And I can have access to internet from coLinux so that I can "emerge" software packages from a selected Gentoo mirror site. But I got problem accessing the X server running on WinXP from coLinux. I've installed Xming on my WinXP.

My networking scenario is given below, which basically follows the Wiki's on both coLinux's and Gentoo's websites.

In Windows, I have two network connections. One is the physical adapter, called "Wireless", and has an assigned IP address,, from my router which is connected to the Internet. Another connection is the virtual TAP-Win32 adapter, named "TAP". I gave the TAP adapter a fixed IP address and subnet mask But no gateway was set for TAP. My config.xml has contents:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
       <block_device index="0" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\Gentoo\Gentoo-2005.1-stage3-ext3" enabled="true" />
       <block_device index="1" path="\DosDevices\c:\coLinux\Gentoo\swap_256Mb" enabled="true" />
       <image path="vmlinux" />
       <memory size="128" />
       <network index="0" type="tap" name="TAP" />
       <network index="1" type="bridged" name="Wireless Network Connection" mac="00:14:A5:DF:EF:F7"/>

In coLinux, I edited the file /etc/conf.d/net, which has contents:
    iface_eth0=" netmask broadcast"
    # No gateway was set here either.

After booting up coLinux, everything seems working very well. By "ifconfig", I can see that eth1 has IP address, the same as the physical adapter in WinXP. So I got no problem to do "emerge" from the Internet. Another interface eth0 ( seems also ok since I started the SSH server on coLinux and used Putty to connect coLinux from WinXP. I can also "ping" from coLinux.

The problem is that, after I "emerge xterm" and try to start xterm, I always got error message:
    Xlib: connection to "" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

I did "export DISPLAY=" in coLinux and start Xming in WinXP. To confirm that Xming works, I used Putty to connect a Linux server at my office with X11 forwarding. So Xming works.

Any hint on my problem will be appreciated!

• Stefan "Bebbo" Franke

you need to add your IP to X0.hosts

if you are unsure what IP is used, try xterm and check the log of Xming (right click on tray icon an "View Log"), it contains a line what IP was blocked.

hope this helps

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks